Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Angel IR3 help....

KitsuneAndy

Platinum Member
So my Angel was working fine yesterday.

But today I hooked it up to a new air system pulled the trigger once, and it definitely didn't like it....

The input pressure on the system was reading at 500 psi, so i dont *think* i put too much air through it.

But it definitely sounded louder than it normally does and started hissing from the bolt. I quickly disengaged the air system and opened it up to find an o-ring floating about in my barrel (im guessing its the one from the little circle on the breach door but cant seem to get it back in?)

So to test it, i hooked it up with to my Angel AIR and hardly got the air system turned up past 300psi when it started venting through the emergency port... So im thinking maybe i managed to screw the minireg? or something. Hopefully it's not messed up too badly.

Any idea's/suggestions anyone?

jahlad

Emortal
Feb 11, 2002
Planet, 0161
im no angel expert but as far as i know 500 psi into the mini reg shouldnt be enough to blow it, sounds like a seal has blown somewhere tho.
without taking a look at it i cant give ya a more accurate diagnosis tho im afraid.....best bet is enlist the help of an angel tech who will get it going in no time.

im sure one or more of them will pop on and see this thread soon enough

Firstly losing the little oring under the breach is nothing to worry about, it doesnt affect the gun in any way.

Your problem is very strange, but the symptoms do sound like too much pressure is going into the gun.

What air system did you change from and to?

What pressure were they set at.

When you put on a new air system it is sensible to dial the adjuster screw on the minireg all the way in, then dial it out to chrono the gun. That way you can be sure you are not putting too much pressure through the system.

Luckily the IR3 is designed very well and there is really only one part in the gun that can be damaged from over pressure and that is the valve stem (costs about £5 to replace) getting in and replacing the valve stem on an IR3 is a little tricky, email me and Ill talk you through it.

However killing the valve stem will not cause the leak as you described, so I think the oring in your barrel must have been the oring from the front reg mount, which is why it is leaking now.

EDIT to clear up confusion: As Jahlad says 500psi into the minireg *should* be absolutely fine, but if you have your minireg setup for a lower pressure system then you change to a higher pressure without adjusting the minireg, it can damage your valve stem depending on what your LPR is set at.

KitsuneAndy

Platinum Member
Well, i went from an Angel AIR system running at 750psi to a Centerflag Dynaflow running at 500psi (if the guage is correct)

I was going to be sending the marker off to LPS this week for a full service anyway, and from what you've said I'm guessing that it's nothing to really worry about as repairwork/cost will be minimal.

If not, it's insured and I'll just get a new one :)

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
Originally posted by AndyDane
So my Angel was working fine yesterday.

But today I hooked it up to a new air system pulled the trigger once, and it definitely didn't like it....

The input pressure on the system was reading at 500 psi, so i dont *think* i put too much air through it.

But it definitely sounded louder than it normally does and started hissing from the bolt. I quickly disengaged the air system and opened it up to find an o-ring floating about in my barrel (im guessing its the one from the little circle on the breach door but cant seem to get it back in?)

So to test it, i hooked it up with to my Angel AIR and hardly got the air system turned up past 300psi when it started venting through the emergency port... So im thinking maybe i managed to screw the minireg? or something. Hopefully it's not messed up too badly.

Any idea's/suggestions anyone?
As john said the little o-ring from the breech is not really important, but the venting gas is. Where exactly is the gas venting from.

KitsuneAndy

Platinum Member
Originally posted by Tom Allen
As john said the little o-ring from the breech is not really important, but the venting gas is. Where exactly is the gas venting from.
Well, when it first when, it sounded like it was venting from the bolt, like as if the hammer hadn't gone back properly and the valve was still open.

But, when I switched it back to the Angel AIR I didnt even get to fire it, as soon as it got up to a couple of hundred psi the emergency valve kicked in, as if the minireg wasn't taking any air in just blocking whatever was going from the air system.

dr.strangelove

PrematurelyPost-Traumatic
Sep 14, 2002
Earth
The venting on your angel air is a problem with your angel air, not the gun. The mini reg doesn't push air back into your tank. Try the angel air on another marker and see if it does the same thing, you might just need to replace the vent seal (went on mine a while back). If it sounded like air was leaking from the bolt (down the barrel?), then probably the problem is that your ram hasn't fully pressurized, and has remained in the forward position, leaving the hammer resting on the valve pin (this especially sounds like the culprit being that you went from higher pressure to lower pressure and your mini reg wasn't adjusted to compensate, your LPR probably isn't drawing enough pressure from the reservoir to fully re-cock the ram). Gas it back up with the Dyna Flo and shoot it once or twice when the leak starts and see if it stops, and try like John C said, turning the mini reg all the way down, and gradually turning it up (taking a couple shots between turns) until you reach your desired velocity.

And I'm terribly sorry to change the subject on you, but I see that you went from an Angel AIR to a Dyna Flo, and I was actually just considering doing the same thing, due to the AIR's weight (I was actually going to buy a Dyna Flo when I bought my air back in '01, but was suckered by WDP's fancy schmancy electro-regulator. I didn't realize until the battery in the AIR died and I had to take it off and had to use a preset how heavy the damn thing is. I weighed my marker with two volumizers, a bottomline and no barrel or tank and it came in at 2.5 pounds, my angel air by itself, tank and reg, weighs 3.6 pounds, with 1.8 pounds of that being the reg alone). So I was wondering, how's the weight difference? Is the Dyna Flo much lighter? Heavier (I highly doubt it)? Negligible?

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
Andy, i see the gas is venting from the angel air rather than the marker. As the Dr said, that's nothing to do with the marker, it's a completely different fault in the air.

Dr. I use worr-gas adjustables, quite small and only the weight of a preset. I think empire have them in stock under their brand name, see this months pgi.

KitsuneAndy

Platinum Member
Originally posted by Tom Allen
Andy, i see the gas is venting from the angel air rather than the marker. As the Dr said, that's nothing to do with the marker, it's a completely different fault in the air.

Dr. I use worr-gas adjustables, quite small and only the weight of a preset. I think empire have them in stock under their brand name, see this months pgi.
I'll wing the air system off for a service as well then.