Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Reffing: What are you going to do about it?

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
After each tournament takes place, there are a lot of, shall we say, "comments" about the standard of the reffing.

This results in the refs becoming discouraged, doubting their ability then simply playing instead of reffing - after all, it's more enjoyable.

So, what I propose is a UK-wide ref course sanctioned by the UKPSF, attended by at least 2 reps from each team in the UK, plus anyone else who is committed enough to take the course.

Courses will take place during the off-season. I have an indoor all-weather venue near me that would be perfect for running the courses, as they have a classroom facility.

It's easy to moan and bitch without actually doing anything about the perceived problem.

So, commit to this, and make something happen.

:)

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK
I was just about to start a thread along the same lines, however I was going to title it:

"The attitude of players, what are we going to do about it?"

I think the key issue is that we have spawned an entire generation of players who seem to think they have the right to play-the-grey and cheat and then complain/abuse refs/throw a tantrum when they get caught.

This links into the quality of the refs themselves - the most experienced refs won't stand for it, however those with less experience or more timid natures could well be intimidated and dissuaded from reffing in future.

The problem is compounded by the undertstandable reluctance of event organisers to properly penalise teams - as they don't wish to lose paying customers from future events.

I'd like to see an agreed UKPSF/Federation player code of conduct in place, setting out acceptable behaviour both on and off the field. It should also clearly outline the penalties associated with any infractions.

Players caught cheating should of course attract a 1-4-1 or similar. Dissent with referees during gameplay should attract stronger penalities and verbal or (god forbid) physical threats towards refs/other players/spectators should lead to the perp being instantly banned from the event and possibly from future events. Teams should also be penalised if they're unable to control their squad members.

Sadly paintball seems to be molding itself in the image of football - where 'professional' players are not only those with the most talent, but also those with the biggest attitudes.

It would be far better if players took note of the attitude of people like Roger Federer - who is a role model for people on the lower rungs of his sport, win or lose.

First step needs to be - players, grow the hell up.

Second step should be helping refs get the training and experience they need. It's pointless training them if there is no effective way to control the players.

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
It's going to be a fine balance between having more refs and more consistent reffing and making the players drop their attitudes. When the reffing comes the attitudes will follow.

I respect the jobs refs do, I wouldn't do it, I'd lose the head and knock someone out for being gobby, that said I have come across little hitlers of head refs who simply refuse to acknowledge there is a problem. Obviously decisions are never reversed, but a ref can be replaced if he is making consistantly terrible decisions or generally not doing what he/she is there for.

I am always a believer in stern punishments and zero tolerance, so when a call is made it is obeyed immediately, or it's 141's all the way. Want to gob off a bit more? another 141 and a warning. Still not happy? Swearing at the refs? Bye bye. Threatening physical violence? Ban for player, warning for team. Actual violence? Bye bye team.

And I mean that all the way from grass roots teams to the so called "pros". I wonder how many would still be primadonnas after being treated like that and realising there are rules to be followed and that they WILL be enforced?

But that's just me.

Oh yeah, if it were up to me I'd also have 12 refs on every field. 1 per player and a couple spare just in case.

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
No Offence Jon, but we first need to get a universal set of rules that refs are trained to, a grading system that refs competencies can be assessed against and a disciplinary code of conduct that is enforced at 3 levels UK, Euro & Global. That is more than 1 man can handle, so I am going to be really contentious and say first and foremost that you, Jabba, Jon C and Oli get together and thrash out how you standardise the interpretation of the rules and an appropriate grading system and then put your proposals to the Federation. I don't really care what you 4 think of each other, but what I do know is that together you have enough combined knowledge to see this through to fruition.

To the Federation I say verbal and physical abuse, actual or threatened, on field or online, to any member of an officiating crew must be dealt with as it is in any other sport or pastime.

Full player registration is a must and the UKPSF has the facilities to produce the Photo ID cards now. No one should be playing in any tournament whether or not sanctioned without registration

Dusty

Don't run, you'll only die tired....
May 19, 2004
Northern Ireland
Rest of post, agree but are you prepared to pay these extra refs?
absolutely. Quality sells itself and teams will cheerfully pay an extra twenty or thirty quid on their entry fee. If 20 teams paid 30 quid quid that is 600 quid or an extra ten refs for a day. Who wouldn't pay that? Teams who want to cheat. Everyone else would pay it if it ensured a fair game.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I was just about to start a thread along the same lines, however I was going to title it:

"The attitude of players, what are we going to do about it?"

I think the key issue is that we have spawned an entire generation of players who seem to think they have the right to play-the-grey and cheat and then complain/abuse refs/throw a tantrum when they get caught.

This links into the quality of the refs themselves - the most experienced refs won't stand for it, however those with less experience or more timid natures could well be intimidated and dissuaded from reffing in future.

The problem is compounded by the undertstandable reluctance of event organisers to properly penalise teams - as they don't wish to lose paying customers from future events.

I'd like to see an agreed UKPSF/Federation player code of conduct in place, setting out acceptable behaviour both on and off the field. It should also clearly outline the penalties associated with any infractions.

Players caught cheating should of course attract a 1-4-1 or similar. Dissent with referees during gameplay should attract stronger penalities and verbal or (god forbid) physical threats towards refs/other players/spectators should lead to the perp being instantly banned from the event and possibly from future events. Teams should also be penalised if they're unable to control their squad members.

Sadly paintball seems to be molding itself in the image of football - where 'professional' players are not only those with the most talent, but also those with the biggest attitudes.

It would be far better if players took note of the attitude of people like Roger Federer - who is a role model for people on the lower rungs of his sport, win or lose.

First step needs to be - players, grow the hell up.

Second step should be helping refs get the training and experience they need. It's pointless training them if there is no effective way to control the players.

Great post and I think unmasks the real problem in our sport, and that is a minority spoiling it for everybody else.
Luckily for us, a lot of these ingrates are on their way out of our sport, the natural [de]selective process will soon take care of them anyway.

The bottom line is this, our sport [in this country] is nowhere near rich enough to finance referee training, and that is of course based upon the fact some people want to be trained.

It would come as no surprise that it's a diminishing bunch of ballers who wish to put themselves forward for ref training after the likes of this weekend's outbursts.

Our sport has for the moment, defaulted to its natural level and as such, luxuries such as paid refs is a mere pipe-dream ... it just ain't gonna happen in the short to mid term.

The Fed can oversee a ref training program but it might do us well to try and negotiate walking instead of running at this stage in our development ..... er, which may I remind you is, our first event.

I hate the idea we have only a few role models for aspiring players in our sport, the likes of Tommy Pemberton and Jason Wheeler are two great candidates but what will stick in the minds of the vast majority of players and refs over the weekend is the scum that was on show masquerading as a 'pro' team, they were a disgrace to themselves and their sponsors and to UK paintball.

Every other team there, well, they were a credit !!!

As were the Refs !!!!!!!!!!!!!

head_-_shot

UK Under 19's & London Tigers.
Oct 25, 2008
London
www.facebook.com
cant blame anything on refs cos the rule is that the refs decision is final I hate seeing players whine they look like bloody toddlers its stupid.

we must teach players etiquette are there any fixed rules about how player ought to behave?

Especially these pampered professional payers thinking they an get whatever they want they just kick off after someone's taken off wrongly what's the point the ref cant just spawn the guy back in pros must learn to be a patient just as everyone else is, someone said earlier that they rely on reffing for security of there sponsers , well what Im gonna say to that i that every one else does without sponers s they should man the hell up and pay for their own gear.

IMO refs shoube equiped with a bludgeon to whack layers over the bonce when they are acting like 4 years olds.