Spelling lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

Platinum Member
Nov 11, 2001
Essex, England
www.GIMILSIM.com
My biggest issue with spelling isn't that I don't know how to spell the words but in my typing bility. Those that may have seen me type know that I type rather quickly as I've used a keyboard for 30 years or so now. Normally I know when I've made a mistake when finger positions see wrong (I don't look at screen when typing), however I started to notice spelling errors on certain words that were re-occuring and when I did some typing tests it showed that my right hand is slightly slower than my left. So "The" is very often typed as TEH. I normally check my spelling and then see something once the submit button is hit. I then re-edit.

As for definately Pete - I am with you on that I used to always get that wrong. I think people do that because of the phoentic sounding.

BTW "teh" appeared free times on this post as I typed (and yes the free was purposely).

redleader

May 13, 2011
I'm dyslexic to and i'm sure those of you that are dyslexic will agree. It has a big affect on your day to day life. There are good points to being dyslexic. The main one is problem solving. Which helps me as i'm left handed (like most dyslexic people). Most things in the world are geared up for right handers. I do alot of rifle and shotgun shooting, i can tell you its no fun having a hot 7.62 cartridge (taken five mins to spell that) flying pass your face.
Any way thats another 20 mins of my life gone writing those few words. :mad:

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
What I find odd is spelling gets jumped all over on forums and at work but a basic lack of maths skills is seen as acceptable - I've seen people add two amounts under £100 get an answer over £1,000 out of their calculator at work (due to input error) and put that amount in a letter to a customer without batting an eyelid at the answer they got and people that have worked in an office for years thinking £100 take away 20% VAT is £80. To me that's much worse than spelling errors.

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
What I find odd is spelling gets jumped all over on forums and at work but a basic lack of maths skills is seen as acceptable - I've seen people add two amounts under £100 get an answer over £1,000 out of their calculator at work (due to input error) and put that amount in a letter to a customer without batting an eyelid at the answer they got and people that have worked in an office for years thinking £100 take away 20% VAT is £80. To me that's much worse than spelling errors.
Maybe its the way you say it thats confusing to your work colleagues? Because £100 take away 20% is £80. If you mean the total plus VAT is £100 and what is the value of the VAT if VAT is 20%? Then thats a totally different answer.

And input error on a calculator has nothing to do with bad math skills, more fat fingers or carelessness maybe.

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
The way I've said it in my post is confusing but at work we're talking about people starting with a £100 invoice and wanting to find out what it was before VAT, and getting to £80 with out me confusing them. I agree keying errors on a calulator isn't bad maths but not having some idea of what magnitude of answer you're expecting when you do that sum is.

Reactions: Bolter

Mag7

Sep 19, 2006
Guernsey
what also kills me is Americanisms and spelling creeping into our beautiful language - 'humor' etc..

it's mainly down to indolence
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.