The Home Of European Paintball

Question to be discussed ...

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Or even theological???

Take the paradox: "there's no athiests in foxholes", implies we suddenly get belief. If so, we'd be quite happy to actually die and go off to paradise (whether it be the one with the fluffy white clouds or 72 virgins). However when Jerry, VC or whomever you're facing suddenly come over the lip, you'll probably fight tooth and nail and stick a bayonet in the c nut to stay alive.

You could, with that line of thinking, equally say, 'there are no Christians in foxholes' for the self-same reasons in that it suggests people elevate salvation for the body over that of the soul ......

This maybe because the notion of a soul capable of redemption is somewhat speculative whereas some yellow ass VC coming over the lip wanting to stick a 3 foot bayonet up yer ass is a little more believable shall we say ....and of course, in that belief, a need to be dealt with ... that is of course, the weight of crap in your underpants hasn't inertia'd your lily white ass to the floor.

Bedlam

Gone crazy, back soon...
Maybe we can focus more on language, whether it be linguistic or mathematical, rather than write off the question as a consequence of our species ......
Robbo, not to put too finer a point on it, but I think you are quoting me out of context.

My point is that the way that way we think limits our ability to see beyond the paradox. Those with faith rather than a scientific view may be able to see around it. Again, these are broad sweeping comments, based purely on my humble opinion of the world at large. But history helps provide the pointers for these. Our philosophical teachings, reaching back across time, have helped us develop our current scientific and theological mindset.

I am not dismissing humans as a simple answer for an almost unfathomable question, but by our nature we strive to expand our sphere of influence by challenging the current accepted thinking. Earth was the centre of the Universe until Galileo challenged that. Now, most people accept it as that.

Some paradoxes are a question of language interpretation, others are a question of faith. My example of killing my father by going back in time, is a question of accepted scientific thinking and possibly, an element of faith.

So, I do not dismiss the question as simply as some, I choose my viewpoint carefully, based on my experience, knowledge and belief. You may think otherwise, but thats what inevitably leads us down these paths to change how we(homo sapiens) mature and evolve.
:cool:

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Robbo, not to put too finer a point on it, but I think you are quoting me out of context.
Maybe ..... I shall read the rest if what ya got.....

My point is that the way that way we think limits our ability to see beyond the paradox. Those with faith rather than a scientific view may be able to see around it.
Those with faith???
Well.......faith has nothing to do with anything here unless you are suggesting that because some people have some sort of religious faith, they 'think' they can see beyond logic, then this is nonsense mate, well, it's not nonsense in the sense I suppose there are some faith-ridden people who believe this but it's nonsense because their view is academic unless it can be proved one way or the other.

Again, these are broad sweeping comments, based purely on my humble opinion of the world at large. But history helps provide the pointers for these. Our philosophical teachings, reaching back across time, have helped us develop our current scientific and theological mindset.
Sorry mate, I got no idea what yer point is here

I am not dismissing humans as a simple answer for an almost unfathomable question, but by our nature we strive to expand our sphere of influence by challenging the current accepted thinking. Earth was the centre of the Universe until Galileo challenged that. Now, most people accept it as that.

Hmmmmmm..........in one sense you define us as having limits and then offer that up as an answer to why presumably some paradoxes can't be answered but then define us as continually expanding our spheres of knowledge ......and so your point is?

Some paradoxes are a question of language interpretation, others are a question of faith. My example of killing my father by going back in time, is a question of accepted scientific thinking and possibly, an element of faith.
Hmmmmmm........hmmmmmm.........hmmmmmm........er...and?

So, I do not dismiss the question as simply as some, I choose my viewpoint carefully, based on my experience, knowledge and belief. You may think otherwise, but thats what inevitably leads us down these paths to change how we(homo sapiens) mature and evolve.
:cool:
...er....still not hooking myself into what's going on here .... sorry mate :(

Come on Bed ..... gimme summink to chew on mate or it gets spat back in yer face like a sausage in a frying pan :)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Much like MissyQ said, it's because we live in a socially constructed world where meanings can collide. The Cretan example above, for example, relies on the construction of language to become a paradox (he's lieing though:rolleyes:). Even in mathematics, the same applies since it's a constructed language of logic rather than a prebuilt system tailored to everything it applies to. That's my take on it anyway.
This is nibbling at why - as it stands upon the shoulders of Missy to look around .... but I'm afraid your opening sentence Dev makes little sense if you are aiming to place Missy's post into some social construct because I just cannot see what you mean there mate ....