Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

State of the world, and population control

sabianfan

Jan 11, 2005
Grantham Lincolnshire
i think its obscene how infernomark blames overpopulation in third world countries, the problem isn't overpopulation its overconsumption. according to a recent article by the guardian the average american requires 12.2 hectares of land to support that one person and how much they consume, whereas a person from Burundi requires half a hectare.
Our economy and social system demands constant growth and more consumption. Unfortunatly there aren't unlimited resources so we have a problem. I don't believe that population control is nessecary we just need to live more sustainably.

Last edited:

no-infernomark

I think therefore I am.
Sep 19, 2005
Kettering
well the whole concept of overpopulation is based around the population density. an american might well require that much space because they are greedy and live an extravangant lifestyle whereas people in 3rd world countries dont and cant. population control is only one method being looked at by world wide governments and institutions, and my view in no way reflects that, it was more of a whim and a prayer statement. as the worldwide population grows so does the demand in resources, the only way this will be averted is by everyone becoming true philosophers and going green or imposing restrictions on ourselves.

If i lived in bangladesh and worked an average job where the living wage is what £17 a month ish? and i have 1 child and a wife, i will survive but if i have 10 kids, we struggle and i cannot contribute towards an economy like people who have disposable income. something along them lines

sabianfan

Jan 11, 2005
Grantham Lincolnshire
i don't really get what your saying, as i said before the amount of people is not the problem, the amount which certain populations (America's population in particular, to a lesser degree european populations) consume is. For example if you had a pie and one person ate 75% of it leaving 25% for another 50 people, you wouldn't argue that the amount of people having a piece is the reason why there isn't much to go around. Bad analogy but do you see what im saying?

no-infernomark

I think therefore I am.
Sep 19, 2005
Kettering
i dont agree. its supply and demand. if an american has the disposable income to be able to purchase alot then that might well be down to that they actually can. whereas an citizen in india (who i shall call indians for the purposes of this) can not afford it. they have large families to feed and do not have the buying power to cosume 'luxury' items. when i say consume i mean purchase for those that are not up on the jargon. the price of petrol will continue to rise becasue the demand is there. if the demand wasnt there the price would fall. an american might well need 12 hectares on average but that would be based on the size of land divided up by the quantity of people whereas in places like india which have approx 500 million more citizens and only a third of the land mass of america this would indicate that india is over populated and with over population comes 'foerign debt' which we pay for as tax payers. it would be silly to disagree with the statement growth and consumption buts its the type of consumption that develops growth. if people can barely afford to live i.e indians, then how can they grow as an economy if they can not afford to develop. the GDP per capita is used in an economy and indicates standards of living which is low in lesser developed countries but high in developed. but then looking at china, which is one of the best econmies at present they have capped their population and been able to develop effectively because people have the disposable income which is required for an economy to grow. so i dont think its about consuming less because the economy would not grow however sustainably i agree with. but in order to live sustainably citizens must be able to live and have disposable incomes which alot of over populated countries do not have thus affecting growth. If, for example india, did cap there population like china then this would be a cumulative change in the sense that people can afford to live better lives and the change in GDP per capita would lead to change in different areas of the economy. not only would the population cap increase GDP Per capita it would also decrease the infant mortality rates and provided better health services and socio-economic benefits, such as reduced unemployment rates, aswell. so i say send johnnies not nets.

the anology with the pie is quite bad because if the demand for pie is there the supply will be there. if people can not afford to buy the pie then this would have more of an adverse affect on the economy than if only one person got the pie because the supply is there but the demand is not.

for those of you reading this that are unaware of chinas population cap scheme, its not about the government saying you cant have kids its about them saying we will support you better if you have one child and not 2-7 etc.

Jlowe

Here let me wipe my balls off your face.
Jul 10, 2011
Staffordshire
Im abit late to this one but ill say it anyway when linking survival of the fittest to our population increase thats exactly the reason why but because we as a race are pretty damn intelligent we support each other morally so i think for example the charities and 'benefits' (which i think should be changed to government wage and them being made to work for) you dont see a ape give a damn about the little monkey as long as he has his own banana so inn order for us to move forward doesn't anyone see that sometimes you just need to take a step or two back.

failing that i want a zombie apocalypse too because with the amount of games,tv shows and movies ive 'studied' over the years i will survive :D