The Home Of European Paintball

X-Ball Europe - The Story So Far

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Buddha 3
You know something that we don't, dontcha?
Let's hear it!

Hey Bud, well I think the pendulum has swung back toward X-Ball with this new proposal; the principle is certainly workable, just leaves the details to sort out but ‘the devil is in the detail’ as they say, so we'll see what happens :)
Johan's just spouting coz he's all bitter and twisted :)
Pete

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
You are the Grouch these days, aren't you?

Originally posted by rancid
1--You let it go? You let it go? Jesus, that was fkin good of you. I am bleedin relieved.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Baca Loco
Pumping up pball like the NFL is indeed laughable at this stage

2--So you believe that at some stage it will be?

but so once upon a time was trying to start a football league when everyone knew America's pastime was baseball which was already established and dominant.

3--You are comparing watching and playing paintball with Soccer? And comparing the future of paintball with the impact soccer has had in the US.

However, if you went in and said pball could have an audience similar to Arena Football you'd be working in a viable ballpark for consideration and development. Arena football is played indoors with fewer players, modified rules and now has--after around 15 years--two leagues, is on TV in local markets and on cable sports and home teams typically draw 2K-10K spectators.

4--Ok. Paintball will attract 10,000 spectators for a game. How will they know what's going on? Will they appreciate the skill? Will they stick around long enough to understand it? What kind of audiences is it currently pulling?

Ticket prices are reasonable and player salaries are not huge and it works.

5--These 10,000 people will pay to watch? On a one-off basis? Will the players enjoy this as a fulltime profession?

Will it ever be as big as the bigtime sports? No, but that's not even close to the point. The point is, with a workable television friendly format and location based teams that can build local support it stands a chance to reach beyond the regular core audience of other players.

6--Alright. Not NFL - I though I'd read summat about family viewing and national stadiums. I'll go with this. What research have you got to suggest that tens of thousands of people across the US will turn out week-in, week out to watch the local team play a sport that if you don't play yourself is impossible to appreciate.

And actually the only reason some of the extreme sports over here get air time has less to do with actual participants than it does with the demographics of those participants and the fact that over time those involved have been able to introduce the 'flavor' of the youth-oriented lifestyle to the general public.

7--Have you read that on one of our internal memos? Yep. That and the fact that every kid in the country has a skateboard, and within two seconds of reading this can be off down the street on it.... on their own, at no cost and without Mum's permission.

As pball's participating class skews younger and younger truly intelligent and determined marketing efforts can move pball into the same realm of perception.

I truly hope so.

8--Thing is baca, I read your posts with the same degree of incredulity as you do mine. But.... as Sup says, I shouldn't be bringing it down.

What is my objective? Well, I think I should be allowed a view, and I think I've posted this view far less than you and yours. Objective? I'm not really sure....
[/QUOTE]
1--what I was suggesting was that this debate inevitably goes the same way every time and once again I can't resist gettin' involved. If you insist on putting some other twist on it that wasn't there I can't stop you. But you'd be mistaken.
2--Didn't say it, didn't imply it. I agreed with you but you invariably always put the most outrageous spin on the argument you can manage to make it seem impossible and I followed up with an alternative model that was more modest but demonstrably economically feasible in the U.S.
3--NO, the analogy you used was the NFL and the one I used was Arena Football. Both are American style football--not soccer.
4--Again, I offered a current typical range of attendance from between 2K to 10K depending on market and import of a given match. And what Arena Football does is offer a season, a home team, weekly matches leading to playoffs and an yearly championship--precisely the kind of offering X Ball is meant to develop into. The key point is that the scale of sport as a viable economic and professional offering isn't limited to either million dollar players or weekend warriors. In between states can flourish as a sport grows.
5--Nobody yet knows what sort of potential pball as a spectator sport has. My point isn't that it's a dead bang guarantee but that there is enough flexibility in our marketplace to allow it to develop to it's potential.
6--because millions of people do it every week for all manner of other sports. My mom loves basketball and baseball, watches both regularly and loves her hometown teams but never once swung a bat or shot a free throw.
7--yep, I get copied all your stuff. :rolleyes: But that same kid can't go hit the half pipe he sees on TV.
8--I don't view your posts with incredulity. What I wonder at is the seeming hostility and determination you seem to have for dismissing any prospect of a future that includes pball as a legit sport.

Almost makes me wonder where the vision and risk-taking mentality went that allowed someone to imagine a Brit pball mag could have any success or failing that the will and effort to turn it into something that could succeed. ;)