Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Common Moronics

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
Everyday we all encounter something so utterly stupid but commonplace!

The mangling of the English language is just one example, text speak seems to be infiltrating more and more, thankfully it it banned on all right thinking forums, including this one!

It seems that you now even have to promote your brand in large print with the vowels removed.

However, even more moronic than text speak itself was this text I got earlier:

"Txt me wn u cn tlk"

FFS, wouldn't it be far simpler if I called you, idiot!

Just one example of Common Moronics (c) there must be many more out there!

D6

Jun 21, 2002
Nakatomi Plaza
The mangling of the English language is just one example, text speak seems to be infiltrating more and more, thankfully it it banned on all right thinking forums, including this one!
Well, if you're going to be a pedant... :)

You should be flattered that someone wants to talk to you Pete- and it is admirable that your mother has mastered the use of the text function on her mobile phone at this stage of her life ;)

Can you differentiate between something as trivial as the abbreviation of a sentence to ‘txt spk’ (where no real meaning is lost) with genuine hokum like peoples belief in conspiracy theories, creationism and new-age medicine?

Dr Ben Goldacre and Damien Thompson are two examples that spring immediately to mind of leading figures in an ever-growing movement that is sick of pseudo-intellectual and scientifically unfounded tosh being pedalled to the masses. Unfortunately, I cannot access their websites at the moment as I’m stuck in a country where many of their views disagree with Islam and are therefore blocked. Otherwise I would plagiarise them both and palm their ideas off as my own... ;)

If the website www.counterknowledge.com is anywhere near as good as the book then it might be worth a look.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Everyday we all encounter something so utterly stupid but commonplace!

It seems that you now even have to promote your brand in large print with the vowels removed.

However, even more moronic than text speak itself was this text I got earlier:

"Txt me wn u cn tlk"

FFS, wouldn't it be far simpler if I called you, idiot!

Just one example of Common Moronics (c) there must be many more out there!
The worst example of common moronics I have ever seen is,... 'I spprt Arsnl' ... un 'frikkin' believable :eek:

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Well, if you're going to be a pedant... :)

You should be flattered that someone wants to talk to you Pete- and it is admirable that your mother has mastered the use of the text function on her mobile phone at this stage of her life ;)

Can you differentiate between something as trivial as the abbreviation of a sentence to ‘txt spk’ (where no real meaning is lost) with genuine hokum like peoples belief in conspiracy theories, creationism and new-age medicine?

Dr Ben Goldacre and Damien Thompson are two examples that spring immediately to mind of leading figures in an ever-growing movement that is sick of pseudo-intellectual and scientifically unfounded tosh being pedalled to the masses. Unfortunately, I cannot access their websites at the moment as I’m stuck in a country where many of their views disagree with Islam and are therefore blocked. Otherwise I would plagiarise them both and palm their ideas off as my own... ;)

If the website www.counterknowledge.com is anywhere near as good as the book then it might be worth a look.
Hmmmm..... I'll have to keep my eye on you mate, 'twas an intelligent/insightful post you just made ..... you might be in some foreign climes somewhere D6 but my spies are manifold .... you are being watched!!

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
Not another spelling thread........
Not a spelling thread, if I wanted to start one of those there are plenty of examples to choose from around here, some ripe beauties even! More trying to spark a discussion on the commonplace stupidity that surrounds us, not just the mangling of language. Dicky, thanks for proofing my post, my excuse is I'm not quite familiar with a new keyboard

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
Just to expand on the subject, take a look at the attached image:

What do you see? A lovely rural snow scene? (I can do better, this was just a quick snap with my phone this afternoon).

Not really, this is the end of my road, its little more than a track, rutted, full of potholes and, at the moment mud. It leads up to the common and stretches about 80 yards before it makes a T-junction, with a lake of a puddle on one leading to a car park just off the main road, the other branch leads to a bridle path and a single house.

However, the Council Highways Department, in their infinite wisdom, decided that they were required to put two 30 limit signs where it spits out on to a residential road despite that pretty much the only people who ever use it are a few of the residents and the Fire-brigade in the summer when the heath catches alight, or some scumbag sets light to a car in the car park and they can't get in due to the hight barrier to keep the Pikeys caravans out.

Why on earth did they need to spend we the tax payers money on not one but two posts, and why on earth did they feel the need to put a NATIONAL SPEED LIMIT sign on the back of the 30s when you'd be lucky to get any car other than a WRC Subaru up to 20 MPH before you got to the end of it?

Pointless exercise from start to finish if you ask me.