Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Is it worth modifying Automag to use air or get complete new gun?

Vinny

Jul 9, 2002
Bedfordshire
Visit site
sups all,

Having been out of the tourney scenes for over a couple of years I'm now thinking of dusting my mag, putting on me cammo;s and rejoin the fun.

My question is, should I spend some money to convert my mag to run on air, or buy a new marker + air system?

For now I may just stick to rec balling and probably wont play more than a dozen times a year, hence, you can see why i may opt for the upgrade.

Cheers

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
Vinny baby

If I was you chief I'd strip the baby down, clean her up and get her in tip top working condition, maybe buy a few aftermarket performance parts so she's nice and reliable. If you plan on playing only a few times here and there then there isn't any point in buying an air system and goin through the hassle and cash money of organising scuba tanks, getting 'em filled when every site you will visit will more than likely have Co2 on tap.

I love air, it rocks all day and all night long but we blag tanks and try to organise the air to be on site when we get there if the option is available, scuba tanks are way too expensive to own.

Get your mag sweet, play some rec, get back into the holy sport then get a fat ass bank loan, go to planet and buy a full Eclipse ass ripper on air and you'll be laughing....skint, but laughing. :D

We use Mags on air at foxwood.
They run on Air Melee regs with a 1.1 lux bottle. the advantage being that the melee has a screw fitting that is the same as a co2 fitting. I think but don't quote me on this, that you don't have to change anything with the marker to convert to air. well we didn't on sunday when we switched a spyder from co2 to air at the site.
I have been quoted £100 for one of these bottles new but that was from the site owner.
You should give air gun designs a ring to find out what needs to be done to a mag to convert it and how much they sell melees for:D

Fleisher

Feb 23, 2002
No you don't have to do anything to change a Mag from air to co2,though as Al rightly said if its not been used in a while it'll want a good clean,lube and change every seal,service kits are about £25 from AGDE/Powerpulse ,phone John or Jackie on01206 240831 if you don't fancy servicing it yourself AGDE can do it for you as their the importers.
Melees work fine on Mags as I use one on my backup Mag,I've also used it on my Extreme Emag on quite a few occasions,and again AGDE import them and they just screw into the bottomline/gas feed ,no mods needed so you can also keep the co2 as an option.

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
We put my old (well OK, ancient) Mag on air earlier this year as a spare team marker & one of the girls uses it every tournament now with no problems. Just make sure you give it a good service & change the o rings, & give it a good lube.
One thing you may notice depending on how long you've been out of the sport for is that paint seems to be a little smaller these days, all my old barrels were 691/693 bore which is a bit big for today's paint.

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
Speaking of paint

Another thing with certain grades of tournament paint is that it's a bit more brittle than it used to be. When I had my mag it was a bit of a cannon and tended to smash the **** out of everything in it's path, bit of a killer bolt action, so be careful as to which paint you choose otherwise you may find yourself being best friends with mr. straight shot;)

Vinny

Jul 9, 2002
Bedfordshire
Visit site
Thanks guys

I appreciate all the adivce.

I did notice the last tournament (many moons ago, and one of the games was against the Black widows :) the gun did go through alot of CO2, well by this i mean I had to refill quite often, every game, the volicity was really unstable, also remembering hearing gas leak at the back of the gun. I took it apart, cleaned it but the problem didnt go away, mabe its time to seek professional advice/servicing.

I'll try giving AGDE a ring thanks.

Vinny

Jul 9, 2002
Bedfordshire
Visit site
They run on Air Melee regs with a 1.1 lux bottle
This means I can run on either Co2 or Air using the same bottle etc?

I saw this on PlanetEclipse
Air America Melee inc. 1.1ltr 3000psi Luxfer for 130 quid.

Is this all I need to get my gun to run Air?
Sorry im a total newbie on this subject.

Bigdog

Aug 3, 2001
Docklands
Visit site
Originally posted by Vinny

This means I can run on either Co2 or Air using the same bottle etc?

I saw this on PlanetEclipse
Air America Melee inc. 1.1ltr 3000psi Luxfer for 130 quid.

Is this all I need to get my gun to run Air?
Sorry im a total newbie on this subject.
Not really, its not too good an idea to use the same tank for both gasses, but your fittings won't need to be changed.

All you need for a mag to run on air is the right sort of tank, if you get a screw in type, you don't have to change anything else, if you get one of the appocalypse style tanks (big reg on the front of the tank & no screw in threads) then you may have to change a thing or three (mounting cradle, air lines, etc)
On air you should lose the majority of your velocity inconsistencies (no liqiud component to the gas, so rapid expansion cannot affect the velocity)

Enjoy