USA
Visit site

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
From Force of Nature:
This week at the Pan Am event in Las Vegas, the NPPL held meetings to elect a new board as well s discuss the future of the league. There are still a lot of issues being worked out but we have for you here, a few of the latest developments.
Read more...

From backroom dicussions, a lot of teams are still struggling with plans for next season. While there are some who have openly stated support for one or the other league, there are some who seem to have interest in playing both. I supose our best indication will be seeing who will be on the field at the first event of the 2003 season.
Opening things up prior to any other large event, and continuing through the season on the 2nd week of every other month, the NPPL Super 7 will host their first event in Huntington Beach, CA.
Huntington Beach already host over 11 million competitors a year in the xtreme sport arena and the town is excited about what paintball will bring. The event is going to be held right on the beach and promises $20,000 cash to first place Pro, and $20,000 in prizes for first in Am. All prizes are said to be coming from outside the industry. The first event , as it is currently planned will run on about 6 fields with a center court field hosting the climactic games of each division gicing spectators the winner take all extravagansa they are used to in other sports.
More details will come soon as we talk with the New Director of Operations, Bart Walkerdine, from WDP. There should be an official press release as well shortly. For now here are the dates:

February 6-9 NPPL SUPER 7 event 1- Huntington beach, CA

April 10-13 NPPL SUPER 7 event 2 - Las Vegas, NV

June 5-8 NPPL SUPER 7 event 3 - TBA

August 7-10 NPPL SUPER 7 event 4 - TBA

October 9-12 NPPL SUPER 7 event 5 - Miami, FL

As for the dates where locations are TBA, they have locations in mind but are taking in a lot of feedback to ensure they get the best venue possible while accomidating for travel and such as well.

Detractors on Smacktalk are saying it's sand, supporters are saying the playing fields will be on clay surfaces. Still, not the grass promised in Chuck's press releases. It better be good! The fact that Bart and WDP are so directly involved gives me some degree of faith.:)

Strange also that NPPL's website promised to be the place to watch for latest info. Bad precedent that FoN scooped them.

Steve

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by Wadidiz
Strange also that NPPL's website promised to be the place to watch for latest info. Bad precedent that FoN scooped them.
Everybody else in the universe isn't online 24/7 like some people we know. ;) It's a bad thing that players get an extra couple of days with the dates? I've got a team meeting in two days were we decide which series we're playin' so this works fine for me.

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by Baca Loco
Everybody else in the universe isn't online 24/7 like some people we know. ;) It's a bad thing that players get an extra couple of days with the dates? I've got a team meeting in two days were we decide which series we're playin' so this works fine for me.
I have to get some relief from a screaming bady.:D I say it sets a bad precendent after Chuck's site promised to be the place to watch. You're right. No big deal.

Got any real data bytes about the venues?

STeve

PS. Baca, I posted the complete calendar package on a new thread because you encouraged me on another thread to not make you dizzy. After all that trouble I didn't want it to go wasted. Also because I wanted to see it all together myself.:)

SM

R

raehl

Very interesting.

I probably read this differently than everyone else, the two things I noticed most were:

1) $20,000 for pro. They could be playing in a corn field and people would still show up to play.

2) $20,000 Out-of-industry Am prizes, probably the one that's more interesting to me than most - that's a good level of out-of-industry involvement, certainly a very cool thing.

Might also explain the beach a bit - could be a request of the out-of-industry folks footing the bill. Works for Aruba Open. right?

- Chris

paintpimp

Nov 19, 2002
Visit site
Just because the event is at the beach, it doesn't mean the fields will be played on sand. X Games were at huntington beach in the past. The event is in a prime spectator friendly location. Like Chris mentioned, the out of industry sponsors are nice to see. West Coast tourneys have really hit out of industry sponsors hard lately. Seeing close to 3,000 a player is nice for 1st AM, maybe 50inch TVs like a recent event.
Worst case scenario......
The event is played on the beach with 6 concept fields, and 1 showcase field with grandstands in view of the pacific ocean. Chicks in bikinis skating by on rollerblades stop to watch the games, and the general public comes in to check out the event as well. Am team wins the event and walks away with 20,000 of usable items, and the top pro teams gets 20,000 cash. I'm guessing the entry fee will be less per player than PSP. How is this bad compared to previous PSP/NPPL locations like some players are implying elsewhere?

Chris

R

raehl

Also, in Chuck's defense on releasing information...

When you ARE the news, you almost never get to release it first.

- Chris

TAZ76

RESIDUE DOGZ
Apr 26, 2002
london
Visit site
i dissagree with jthm

sorry mate but your wrong, if anything they have worked hard at this firstly because they have made it open to both sides of your beautiful country and second with the link with millenium has made it that maybe a couple of the events are available to us novice's over here.

who want to enter as many millenium events as possible and maybe one in the us we can choose what will be easiest to us which is good :D

hope to see one of you fellas over there next year bye for now .

taz:cool:

JTHM

American Prat
Oct 31, 2002
USA
Visit site
i dissagree with jthm

Originally posted by TAZ76
sorry mate but your wrong,

LOL no offence but, how can I be wrong? All I said was that I wouldn't be attending the CaliBeach tourny. I don't like the idea of trashing my gun in the sand and baking away in the sun. I did Vegas, believe me I don't want to relive that.

I'm not telling anyone not to go, it's just we were promised Millenium type venues, and this doesn't appear to be as such. I just won't go to this one that's all, personal opinion.

But on your other point, I'm thinking of hopping the pond this season to try out the Euro experience.

:)