Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

NPPL Super 7..The real deal!!

headrock6

Bloody Yanks!!
Jun 5, 2002
Strong Island
Visit site
Book your flights now ladies and gentleman..This event looks like its gonna be insane..Grabbed this off Podbitch..Also check out the pics of where the venue is gonna be held on thier site..Lets see the detractors try and rip this up... -6

www.podbitch.com

Wadidiz-There looking 4 someone to head up the Pro refs with Cookston gone..Start making those phone calls now..Ya never know:D

The New NPPL 7man becomes a real league.

For the first time in a long time I have felt good about the future of paintball. I just returned from Las Vegas where I attended the NPPL 7man meetings......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A little history first. The NPPL the players group that sanctioned the Promoters of what we used to call the NPPL. (Youngblood, Richmond, Poorman, Renick, Adams', Braun). When the NPPL really tried to start flexing it's power the promoters made a promotions group called the PSP. The PSP was made to force the NPPL to deal with one company so they couldn't allow in other promoters and fire bad ones. This came after a horrible World Cup a few years back and people were pissed and wanted Jerry's head on a platter. The NPPL was unhappy and wanted to bring in other promoters with big money. All the promoters saw that what they had built from scratch was about to be taken away. They formed the PSP. The NPPL and PSP worked a little and then the PSP said no more talking with Tom Cole, the president of the NPPL at the time, and the players then picked Chuck after Tom resigned.
Chuck tried to make changes and hold the PSP accountable for quality of events. The PSP finally got tired of the NPPL and rumors that they were not going to sanction the events. The NPPL showed up in Vegas and was disgusted with the setting. They then found out that the PSP had told them they were not allowing them to set-up their booth at the event. The PSP also put the PSP logo on everything instead of the traditional logo. The NPPL and PSP fought and made up for the rest of the season. Now they have split and both are doing their own thang!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cut to last week and the NPPL meeting.
At the Bellagio hotel my itinerary said. I couldn't help thinking, "show of class or great con job". I went to the meeting as a player to see what the so called players league had to offer. I was 100% ready to call bull**** at every moment. I was gonna call it like it was and burn some bridges. I was gonna be the players voice! I guess I got all amped up for nothing. I was very impressed with what I saw and really believe we have a new league that will do right for the player, pro and rookie alike.

My first concern was about the league set up. Who did what? Who makes the dough and how can we as a player league protect ourselves.
Imagine my surprise when Chuck announced that the NPPL was going nonprofit. This means open books and a company structure that sees itself as the owner. Chuck Hendsch is the current owner and President of the NPPL and he is turning the INC into a nonprofit. Rather generous if you ask me. Don't cry for Chuck though he will be getting a salary from the league. Camille, NPPL Marketing Director, is also an employee of league.
Now the way it will work is that the NPPL is working with a new promoter company. This company is being run by Bart from WDP. I have never met him before but was very impressed with his plan and his goals for the Super 7. A good humored Brit that was very sensible and from what he showed a to me, a good business man. I was very impressed with his use of the calculator. He knew his budget and was very interested in costs. This means that his big plan was funded in a budget and he was aware.

So the new promoter will run the events and pay a sanctioning fee to the now non-Profit NPPL. The promoter runs the events and has to live up to a list of desired traits. Basically a check list the promoter is supposed to meet.
A few of the things are:

No more then 5 minute air lines.
2 tables and 10 chairs per team, Tented for staging
Enough toilets cleaned daily.
7 Pro refs per field
Promoter provides insurance for players
Prizes announced 2 weeks prior to event.
Grass is mandatory unless a beach venue.
Grandstands for 2000-3000 at center court.
Schedules posted 3 days prior to the 1st day of the event.
These are the the highlights, there is more. The best thing about this meeting was the NPPL's and promoter's interest in letting everything be public. They wanted everyone to know they had nothing to hide. I thought for sure I was gonna get a gag order for PodBitch but they said that nothing was secret. I know some people have a problem with Chuck's intention. I feel very confident that he is sincere in what he says. He loves the sport and is trying to make every attempt to show his intentions are righteous. He is giving the NPPL as a company to the players.

The promoter is setting up what they promise to be, "Better then the Millennium" events. Massive grandstands, a players staging area away from the public so we can cuss and not offend the kids. Local marketing to draw in crowds. Players area security and PA systems to keep teams informed. Center court will have and announcer and the finals will have a final game. Try explaining to a TV crew that the winner of this game takes 1st and the loser take 4th. They want a final that they can understand. Winner wins and celebrates on the field.

The events are promised to be high quality and a display that makes paintball look good.

The first event has a tentative almost set location of Huntington Beach (live cam). On the beach! My first thought was negative. Sand, no grass, etc.... In the next few minutes an overhead drawing of the location and an explanation actually got me jazzed on the location. Next to the pier where about jillion people come to play on the weekend....in bikinis; The sand was said not to be a problem because they are going to bulldoze the site and press the sand back. The ground underneath is a soft clay surface that will be maintained during the event with water trucks, rakes and other methods to make sure sand is not an issue. I am still a little miffed on not having grass but the event location and the ability to play in front of a massive amount of people in the extreme sport capitol of the world is pretty cool. The location also has the ability to help give our sport more media interest. Fair trade. Both the NPPL and the Promoter were promising everything else will be grass venues.

One way the NPPL decided to get feedback from the players was by giving out report cards to captains and media. Letting them voice their thoughts, good or bad. The NPPL also appointed 2 committees. Rules committee and Operations committee. Both committees have player representatives from each division and an equal vote.

One yet unresolved issue was the Pro refs. I had a big problem with Cookston at the helm and wanted him out. Well he is out. No Cookston involvement in the NPPL. The PRO refs still have their funding and the NPPL wants to see the program move forward with a new director. Some great names were suggested and nothing was set but whoever the head guys is, it will be someone the rules and operations committee will approve. The PRO will employee 7 Ultimates and 1 grand Ultimate. The Grand may or may not be the head of the PRO. Depends on the affiliations and if the Grand Ultimate can run the PRO company . The seven ultimates will be the best of the Pro refs and will run fields every event. They will also train their under refs on how he wants the field reffed. I have always liked the idea of the PRO but didn't think the leadership was there. I believe it can work but retired players are needed to ref.

I think this split between the two series is great. Competition brings more money into the mix and will end up giving the player a better product. The NPPL is chalked full of ideas and the only question is; "Can it be done?" I say yes. I think all the people in charge are capable and have good intentions.

R

raehl

Hrm...

I wonder what the qualifications for Super Ref are.... maybe I should update my resume. Do you think Computer Engineering experience helps? ;)

And where did Bill go?

Now on to reading the rest of the post. At least I'm pretty much guaranteed to have a shorter reply. ;)

- Chris

R

raehl

I'm a little underwhelmed.

The story should read "NPPL hires new promoters". That's the only change here.

NPPL being non-profit (I'm assuming in the state-law sense, not the IRS tax-exempt sense) does nothing to show how money is being spent if the only money subject to being open on the books is the stuff paid to NPPL by the promoter. Everything else is neatly hidden in the promotions company, same as it was with NPPL and PSP.

And we continue the same problem where the people making the decisions on how the league is run are NOT people appointed by the league. If the league sucks and stuff isn't being done right, then what? How do you fire Bart? You can't. Your only option is to sacrifice what you've built up in the promotions company, including any capital in the promotion company's control, and start over with a new promoter.

Who do the out-of-industy sponsors send their checks to? NPPL or the promotions company? If it's NPPL, and the promotions company is paying NPPL to run events with the NPPL name, how does any of that money help with the league? If it's the promotions company, that means if you have to get rid of the promotions company, you lose all of your advertisers too.

Why didn't NPPL leave PSP in the middle of the season last season?

Answer: They couldn't. PSP had all the money, all the equipment, and all the sponsors. All NPPL had was a name and a demand they be paid $5k to use their name. That means all NPPL can ever demand from anyone is what their name is worth, minus whatever they're charging in fees. Promoter decision process: If (Value of NPPL Name) < (Cost Of Sanctioning Fees + NPPL Demands), Do Not Pay NPPL, Do Not Use NPPL Name, Do Not Spend $5,000.

If you REALLY want to run a non-profit league, you MUST do the following things:

1) Establish a membership - individuals or teams? What qualifies you as a member? The members are the "owners". Give each member one vote.
2) Establish a Board of Directors. Membership uses their votes to elect the Board.
3) The BOARD picks the executives, and sets any executive compensation.
4) The LEAGUE runs the events - they get the sponors and advertisers and the checks. The league pays for facilities and manpower and equipment, only pays when services are renderred, and maintains ownership of everything not leased.

That way, if people arn't doing what you want, you just hire someone else to do it. If your executives arn't doing what you want, you fire them and get someone else. If the Board isn't doing what you want, you replace them next election.

I expected something like this from NPPL, and that's apparently not what happened.

This doesn't necessarily mean anything bad as far as S7 goes - people just need to realize that what's going on is 100% free enterprise, the best promotions company will win, or maybe they'll both coexist successfully, depending how the market works out.

- Chris

headrock6

Bloody Yanks!!
Jun 5, 2002
Strong Island
Visit site
Shorter Reply should be erased from your vocabulary..

Originally posted by raehl
And we continue the same problem where the people making the decisions on how the league is run are NOT people appointed by the league. If the league sucks and stuff isn't being done right, then what? How do you fire Bart? You can't. Your only option is to sacrifice what you've built up in the promotions company, including any capital in the promotion company's control, and start over with a new promoter.

- Chris
Actually, i think thats exactly what they intend to do..If promoters dont live up to thier specification,then goodbye promoter and a search 4 a new one till they find one that gets it right..

Why do u think PSP was formed??So when events were deemed ****ty they couldnt be replaced by others who would get it right..This is what the NPPL wanted..This is what has led to so many problems within PSP..No ones held accountable when things go wrong and theres not a damn thing anyone can do about it..

Look at reffing at the Cup..Whats to say that what happened will ever be corrected by PSP..Have you ever seen anyone get fired for some of the obscene things they have pulled in the past..I have'nt..

Finally i think,we will have promoters who are responsible for the events they put on and if they cant get it right,goodbye promoter..Dont think that can so bad now can it??

headrock6

Bloody Yanks!!
Jun 5, 2002
Strong Island
Visit site
Just 1..Gettysburg, and i havent been back since...

But please do inform if you think my opinions are wrong..I just firmly believe theres no accountabilty for the events PSP puts on and if there were,things might be a little different today..

R

raehl

And...

How has anything changed?

Why is the new promotions company any more accountable than the old one is?

I'm the President of a player's league. I say "We need this, this and this, and we'll pay you to provide it." If you're running NPPL World Cup and you don't meet NPPL specifications, you keep all your money. If you're running NCPA Nationals and don't meet NCPA specs, you don't get any money. See the difference?

PSP was never very accountable to NPPL because the penalty for not doing what NPPL wanted was small. And that hasn't changed with the new promotions company.

This certainly doesn't mean the new promotions company is not going to put on killer events. They're just going to do it because it'll make them money - 100% free enterprise capitalistic competition. "Player Accountability" on either side of the fence doesn't extend much past wallet-opening. Both promotions companies are going to be motivated by their ability to turn a profit, and that's not going to change until the players create a league where the league collects the money, the league pays for the services they need, and the league is run top-down by people elected by the players.

NPPL missed a good chance to do that.

On the other hand, there's no guarantee a true player-run league wouldn't just run itself into the ground, given a certain disconnect many players seem to have between services and the cost in providing those services.

- Chris

headrock6

Bloody Yanks!!
Jun 5, 2002
Strong Island
Visit site
And...

How has anything changed?

Why is the new promotions company any more accountable than the old one is?
Chris,your assuming that if the promoters of the NPPL put on a bad event they will be back to throw the next one..If PSP throws a bad event there is no one stopping them from putting on the rest..Plain and simple,if they dont meet the standards set by NPPL they wont be promoting 4 them anymore..

I'm the President of a player's league. I say "We need this, this and this, and we'll pay you to provide it." If you're running NPPL World Cup and you don't meet NPPL specifications, you keep all your money. If you're running NCPA Nationals and don't meet NCPA specs, you don't get any money. See the difference?
And once again,yes they will take the money but will never be back again!!Are you trying to tell me these promoters are'nt here for the long haul??You cant honestly say that these promoters are here to put on a ****ty event and run with the cash from it..That just wouldnt make any sense from a business point of view if you want to enjoy sustained profits..

This certainly doesn't mean the new promotions company is not going to put on killer events. They're just going to do it because it'll make them money - 100% free enterprise capitalistic competition. "Player Accountability" on either side of the fence doesn't extend much past wallet-opening. Both promotions companies are going to be motivated by their ability to turn a profit, and that's not going to change until the players create a league where the league collects the money, the league pays for the services they need, and the league is run top-down by people elected by the players?

There,u said it..The promoters want to make money,so why would they risk not abiding by NPPL's sanctions and losing out on more profit..Thats the difference any way you look at it..

On the other hand, there's no guarantee a true player-run league wouldn't just run itself into the ground, given a certain disconnect many players seem to have between services and the cost in providing those services.
Finally we agree on something:p

- Chris [/B][/QUOTE]

R

raehl

Ok..

You recognized the fact that PSP could say no to NPPL and still run events, why can't the new promotions company do the same thing? NPPL only holds an exclusive license on their name (well, not if oyu ask PSP, heh), they don't have any control over who runs tournaments - or what tournaments players attend. I don't think *ANYONE* is playing S7 over PSP "because NPPL says so".

That's another difference between the NCPA and NPPL - it would be VERY difficult to run a college event that wasn't NCPA sanctioned. Our players are very involved with the league, and because of that they're really only interested in NCPA-sanctioned events. That's possible becaue they know if they don't like what the NCPA is doing, they can elect different people to do what they want. NPPL makes it difficult to say they represent the player when they don't have players who will follow the league, partially because NPPL doesn't give the players a vested interest in the league.

Personally, I'd like to see PSP do their thing, whoever does S7 do their thing, run it as a business, and let whoever can do it right make a financial killing. Just drop the "player-run" pretense.

If Chuck can make a bunch of money running a national league, he should. If PSP can, they should. If they both can, great. I never understood why paintball players are so opposed to promoters making a lot of money. They won't make any money if they don't run events people want to go to.

- Chris