The Home Of European Paintball

OT: World Trade Centre and Pentagon

crashdeamon

Jul 26, 2001
TEXAS
Visit site
ok lets not start an arguement but god damm i had family in new york city
and im scared sh it less what the **** is wrong with this sh it
all i am going to say is i plan on getting really drunk this weekend **** i dont even want to play paintball im so pissed
but in reality this is somethign that should have been foreseen
now to say trigger happy bush is wrong but i must say retaliation is almost a must now but the most importnat thing is finding out who did it.
all us players can do is pray if that is your thing for those sould lost today

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
Here's what happened, in a brief timeline

If you go to CNN.com in the next few das, This will probably still be on there. Ther's some really scary stuff, including the planes slamming into buildings, collaspings, and so on. Right now there's no clue to the body count, rumors have it in the tens of thousands of lives. We know of possibly 200 missing fire / rescue / police that were on scene when the first tower went down, but beond that, no clue. However, here's what we DO know.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/11/chronology.attack/index.html The chronology is here, but here's the basics.

(All times are eastern)

8:45 AM : American Airlines flight 11 slams into the North tower of the World Trade Center

9:03 AM : A second plane, United Airlines 175, slams into the south tower. This is the videotape that everyone is seeing.

9:43 AM : A third plane, American Airlines Flight 77, crashes into the South wall of the Pentagon.

10:05 AM : The South tower collapses. Theory is that the intense heat of the jet fuel caused the outer skin of the bulding to swell. This left no supports for the actual floors attached, and they fell straight down.

10:10 AM : A fourth plane, United Airlines Flight 93, crashes outside of Pittsburgh.

10:28 AM : The North tower collapses.

5:20 PM : Building 7 of the World Trade Center complex collapses. This was not hit directly, but was weakened by fires and debris from the first two impacts.

6:00 PM : CNN reports that explosions are heard in Kabul, Afghanistan. This is where Osama bin Laden is believed to be hiding out. He is believed currently to be the person behind these attacks. The US denies any involvement in these explosions.

All four planes were of the same type, Boeing 767's and 757's. All four were trans-continental flights, and had full fuel tanks. Reportedly, the terrorists hijacked the planes with box-cutter style of knives.

And, before you ask, there were no car bombs, no other explosives, nothing else involved at this time.

(Info post over, opinion post next)

-Tyger

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
The opinionated part

There are a lot of things that amaze me about all this.

I've been going through today feeling numb. Just numb. I work in a TV station, so I got more than my fill of footage, opinons and so on. Between all the rumors, and the opinions, it's made me just numb to what the reality is. Being half a country away doesn't help, really. It all seems so unreal.

I'm a little shaken by a lot of reactions on the 'net. A lot of people are screaming "Nuke the (I won't repeat racial epithets)!!!!!!!" But we don't know, as of this moment, know who or what did this. And I see too many people channeling a collective anger into racial violence. There seems to be a want for an enemy that isn't there yet. I'm already hearing about racially motivated beatings in the 'states. And that's depressing. That and a lot of paintball players are begging for the draft to start up so they can go kill the *******s responsible. I don't know if this says more for the youth or the sport, but it's happening stateside.

There's also a heavy knee-jerk reaction. People are buying gas expecting the price to jump. Rumor had it that gas was $5 a gallon in Texas. Problem is that when there's a rush on gas, demand goes up, and prices go up. I saw a guy today with 5 jerry cans on his pickup truck, and he was filling another one. I haven't seen lines for gas that long since the late 70's. (And, yes, I'm that old.) Teh local news here was reassuring people that there was enough gas, and that the prices wouldn't go up if people just relaxed. No luck, they paniced. Why? Becasue, obviously, we're losing our precious oil.

(And, before you Euro people laugh at us, Americans have a roaming culture. We need to move around. The US is a BIG ASS PLACE! So we rely on gas to get places. That and we have a live affair with cars. Ask an American about a '61 Mustang sometime... It's a US thing)

Then there is all the raw footage coming out of the "War Zone". I have seen the south tower hit from teh front, the air, the side, the bottom, the flank, and I think from 30 blocks away. In big cities I'm amazed how many people just happen to have a video camera on them. And a lot of people even managed to call relatives or the police on cell phones from the ill fated planes or from under rubble piles. Just incredible the level of communication and recording that exists in the hands of everyone.

On a personal note, my brother in law is a a Colonel in the army. He WORKS in the Pentagon. His wife called him up this morning and told him about the towers getting hit. She then said to him that she was worried becasue "The Pentagon is a good target too."

15 minutes later the Pentagon was hit. He worked in the spine to the left of the hit wall. He never felt it impact, and only knew there was a problem when it came up on the TV. (Never felt a rumble or anything. the bulding is built like a, well, brick ****house.) He managed to escape unharmed, as well as rescuing a few other people (carrying a child 2.5 miles away from the pentagon at full sprint when tey were told another plane might be coming in... The kid had a ball apparently...)

Ironically, the wing hit was, according to him, the "Home Terrorisim Office". They figure out how to fight terrorisim on US soil. And it was also the wing that was being worked on, so casualties from the Pentagon will be lower than they could have been. As far as I know, everyone I know is safe.

But not everyone is. The body count is unknown, and I think that it will remain unknown forever. At least 200 in the four planes that crashed. They're now saying that "thousands" are dead in the towers, a numberthat I think will climb into the tens of thousands once they figure out how many people were really there and either incenerated in the impact, jumped out of the windows 70+ stories up (which I don't understand why), or were crushed when the buildings collapsed. They will be going through the rubble for weeks, and who knows how long it will take to find the missing.

CNN keeps on replaying the videos of the two planes hitting the towers. It's like watching the Zapruder film at this point, we've seen it and it's not pleasant, but we can't stop watching. They're showing a live shot now, 3:10 AM easern time, what's left of the building is still smoldering. There's piles of papers like snow piled up in the streets.

My point? I guess I don't have one. There's really nothing you can say that hasn't been said, and there's not much you can do other than be concerned and pray, possibly give blood. I'm not even mad, or angry, just numb. It seems that we as a society only come together in moments of massive tragedy. (Challenger, JFK, Oklahoma City bombing, Pearl Harbor, Ect.) It's funny that we can't do the same in moments of global extreme joy.

I'll stop rambling now.

-Tyg

Mr Big

and his big purple helmet
Jul 3, 2001
In a big shoe
www.p8ntballer.com
It's a horrible thing

And all the boys at p8 send our deepest sympathies to everyone affected by this tragedy.
Please, anyone who wishes to offer their condolences here, just add your name and your message to this thread. We know you don't need telling, but just to make sure, we will be monitoring the thread and any distasteful messages will be removed.

the boys at P8...

Mr Big
TJ
Robbo
Mavis
Bollywood

booga

Arthritic Pirate
My deepest sympathies go out to anyone who has lost family or friends in this atrocity.
If you are still waiting on news hang on in there, I'm still waiting on news on two friends at the State Dept but I've heard from one friend in NY scared ****less but OK.

My heart goes out to everyone in the States.

Bud

" ..- - .-- .- - " ;)
Jul 7, 2001
We, parents and teachers try to bring our children up with certain beliefs….., right from wrong, and RELIGION etc, and how the world would be such a tranquil place if all followed it………now we gotta do some explaining that religion is the cause of this atrocity…..were do we start….how do we explain the difference between a terrorist and someone with GENUINE religious belief.

OUR HEARTS GO OUT TO TO YOU ALL IN THE U.S