Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Puzzle

wings

The Firm
Nov 30, 2007
Halifax
Seen as everyone is having so much fun on the maths quiz I thought I would post up another puzzle.

You are given 9 coins. 8 of them are the same weight, 1 is a different weight. Other than that the coins are exactly the same.

You have an old fashioned set of balances, like the Libra star sign. You are allowed only 3 turns at weighing the coins and may use nothing else as a comparison.

How do you find out which is the rouge coin and whether it is heavier or lighter than the other 8?

Winner gets a pint at Fed Cup :)

Bambulus

Wreckballer - PMGWC#2
Nov 13, 2008
that special place.
www.leekspin.com
Remove one coin, and keep aside.

Split the remaining coins evenly for weighing (4 coins each side) and measure. There are two possible outcomes:

a) the two sides are evenly matched, in which case you have the lighter coin already set aside
b) one side is heavier

If b, then we continue by removing the heavier group of coins and setting aside. They're useless now.

Split the remaining coins in half and measure evenly again, two coins each side. Remove the heavier set of coins.

Split the two remaining coins evenly, and use the third chance of measuring to identify the lighter coin.
:)

amirite?

3L1TE hax

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2009
Put 1,2,3,4 on one side, and 5,6,7,8 on the other leaving 9 off

if they balance, nine is a bad coin

if they dont; whichever is heavier (or lighter) you go (for example) 1 VS 3 leaving 2,4 off

if they balance go 2 vs 4 and one loses

if they dont balance one is wrong

EDIT: Goddamm.. even i nteh same minute ;)

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
Seen as everyone is having so much fun on the maths quiz I thought I would post up another puzzle.

You are given 9 coins. 8 of them are the same weight, 1 is a different weight. Other than that the coins are exactly the same.

You have an old fashioned set of balances, like the Libra star sign. You are allowed only 3 turns at weighing the coins and may use nothing else as a comparison.

How do you find out which is the rouge coin and whether it is heavier or lighter than the other 8?

You call that a puzzle :D? ;)

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville

The rouge coin will be the red one. Unless that's a typo and you meant rogue. In which case it'll be the one with the grey streaks in it's hair.

wings

The Firm
Nov 30, 2007
Halifax
Remove one coin, and keep aside.

Split the remaining coins evenly for weighing (4 coins each side) and measure. There are two possible outcomes:

a) the two sides are evenly matched, in which case you have the lighter coin already set aside
b) one side is heavier

If b, then we continue by removing the heavier group of coins and setting aside. They're useless now.

Split the remaining coins in half and measure evenly again, two coins each side. Remove the heavier set of coins.

Split the two remaining coins evenly, and use the third chance of measuring to identify the lighter coin.
:)

amirite?
You have worked on the premise that it's lighter. It could be heavier.

Try again

wings

The Firm
Nov 30, 2007
Halifax
Put 1,2,3,4 on one side, and 5,6,7,8 on the other leaving 9 off

if they balance, nine is a bad coin

if they dont; whichever is heavier (or lighter) you go (for example) 1 VS 3 leaving 2,4 off

if they balance go 2 vs 4 and one loses

if they dont balance one is wrong

EDIT: Goddamm.. even i nteh same minute ;)
If they don't balance how do you know which one is heavier and which one is lighter?

Try again

tricky m

Feb 17, 2010
leeds
split the coins into 3 groups weigh two groups if they balance disgard both sets fo coins.(if they don't balance haven't worked that out yet)

split the third set and weigh 2 coins if they balance place other coin on scale and weigh again will tell you which is the differant coin and if it heavier or not.

if second weigh doesn't balance still change one coin for the third coin and weigh again if they balance the rogue coin is the one taken off and from previous weigh can determine if it's heavier or not. if the result is the same rogue coin is still on scale and you will know if hevier or not.