Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Rental vs private markers

Scotty D

Too serious by half
Feb 2, 2002
Kinross. Scotland
Visit site
The sites that I've worked on don't let private markers be used. If all the customers have the same marker then they are all roughly at the same level.

The only time that private markers do get used is when a group of customers request to play against some of the marshal's. 2 marshals with their own kit against 20 odd customers with site guns.
Admittedly the customers do get beat but because they have had the chance t play at a "lower" level and then against angels, cockers etc they tend to go away wanting to move up a gear.

It is the marker used and the experience of the user.

But rental goggles do suck!

Pinky_81

Team Wikings
Mar 19, 2002
Denmark
Playing the odds...

I've used to be such a marshall... Giving them a nice day with an experience they'll never forget!! :D

2-3 against 15-30 is something they like, and it shows them how a team of 2-3 experienced players can deal with quite much...

This is fun for everybody... And they'd propably get quite interested in knowing how the markers work and how we manage to deal with all those people...

Pinky

guppy

Banned
Apr 3, 2002
Maidstone, Kent
Visit site
Originally posted by styles mugger
Well one thing id like to ask is wud u want to clean,strip,replace parts etc to 20-60+guns at the end of the day like ud do to ur own guns(guessin sum people really clean um)after uve been screamin at um to keep there masks on,running round all day making sure they dont cheat & when they shoot the cr@p out of u from the near impossible angles(20+ft above the ground for house style fields etc.
True, but isn't that better than the following weekend having to run around after them in the first game because 50% of the markers won't work at all. They still have to fixed! Punters pay quite a lot of money to come & play and quite often it's their first taste of paintball. I know i would have hated it on my first days 'ball if the marker i was using let me down, game after game. Site markers are simple to strip, clean & reassemble: eg hammer o-rings, leaky valves, rusty springs. One person could easily service/ repair 60 markers (eg infernos) in a day, (midweek between games). When you think of the revenue those 60 markers will bring in on the following weekend and the repeat business if those customers have had a good day, because the equipment worked, then it's got to be worth the site paying out one day's wages to keep their markers in tip-top condition.

SirJinks

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Jun 21, 2002
Southampton
Visit site
I have no experience servicing site markers etc, but following on from some earlier points made about mixing site guns with private markers the sites around my area do not allow it (I'm allowed to use my Inferno but only after I convinced the owners that it was not mod'ed past the usual barrel upgrade etc).

Their experience (with no exceptions) is that people would turn up with Angels, Cockers etc and aside from continually whinging and cheating would basically light up any rec-baller with a rental like a christmas tree. End result - new players (the site's bread and butter) were scared away from ever returning so they have all pretty much turned round and said no more walk-ons. Pity, always the bad few spoiling it for the majority :(

(PS, I'm not saying if you own an Angel or Cocker you are automatically a whinging cheater.... but you might be.... I dunno ;) )

Graham (Donkey's)

May 16, 2002
North East, UK
Visit site
I think it would be very unfair for the normal newbie baller to play along side people who have cockers/ Angels etc.

This is simply because the people with site markers would be out ranged before they even got into viewing distance :) and with them being new, how are they going to be able to spot someone hiding with a cocker behind a bush really to plaster the group of newbies with them still talking out loud about the last game when one of them "Killed" another player.

Then there's how fast a marker can fire :p. You have a simple site marker that can fire 2-4 shots a second MAX and then u have a torny lev marker that fires like 10+ a sec. So just think in the time a newbie who has prob never used the marker b4 fires 3 shots the torny player has fired about 15, of which by the time the first one hits there are another 10 on the way :D :D :D .

How many site markers can hit the same spot twice in about 5 shots??? Not many simply because they are not cared for as much as an expensive marker will be that someone has had to save months for.

And then theres paint, better markers csan fire better paint meaning more breaks and less bounces. So when a rec-baller does hit someone there is alot higher chance that it will bounce rather than the tourny player who is firing top knoch paint :).

Anyways as other people have said it deppends on the player behind the marker aswell as the marker itself before you take anything else into consideration such as range/rate of fire etc.

Arrival

I Kick You in the Nuts!
Mar 24, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
Good God, this topic's still alive?!

Well my analogy of rentals would have to be the prostitutes of the feild. Poorly worked and treated by people who don't know what they're doing... sure they're worked in well and all, and are reliable for a newbie having a good time, but they just don't keep up with the pure "one-man-gal" 'guns, as thier owners always treat them with loving care. They make it thier buisness to be sure they're always running thier best and they do thier best to properly service them.
There's my opinion on the matter.