The Home Of European Paintball

Ressurecting a 1992 Phantom

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
My problem:
This gun has laid in a box for 10 years

and when I picked the phantom up and tried to pump it, i was met with an awful stiffness. Pulling the gun apart revealed some minor internal rust, so i stripped everything and cleaned it all up. Once i'd put everything back together, i was finding that the phantom would not ****. The pump is sliding fully and the pump arm hits the back of it's groove in the trigger frame.
Pump arm at end of rest

Pump arm at end of slot but hammer not quite engaging

As you should be able to see, everything is in it's correct layout uncocked. When you try to ****, the pump arm hits the back of the slot (and the groove in the trigger frame), before the hammer sear engages on the bolt. It's very close but not quite Undecided. I dropped a couple of 6mm washers over the powerstem between it and the hammer and it cocks easily.
Now looking at it i'd say that the hammer position is governed by the shut position of the powerstem, but this does not reach the bolt.

Any idea's?

SAMUEL.D.RYAN

one.man.band
Mar 17, 2007
Cambridge/Huntingdon
Why?
I had been told that to be honest but i don't understand why?
Without pressure behind the powertube, the force you are putting on the bolt won't be matched by the pressure holding the powertube forward, so the bolt will not be close enough to the hammer to engage.

Did it **** with air?

irons69

BEACH BUM
Jun 11, 2002
kent
back in the old day,s some phantom,s did used to firer with no air in then depending on spring set up ( i don,t lie)
colin i have a stock that will go on that if you want it

Split Personality

Mar 31, 2007
Berkshire
Possible reasons and Spring pairing

If it is the same as my LAPCO internals - the bolt velocity dialer could be unscrewed out too far and the spring is over compressing and not allowing the bolt to engage...

Or your sear has lost its edge and not grip the bolt properly, but looking at your hammer spring it looks quiet beefy so it could be simply your spring pairing.....

Often the reason Nelspot type pumps do not always c0ck - is how you or privious owner have set the hammer and valve spring combination - these should be set to maintain velocity to the conditions (i.e. temperature - C02 impacted to a greater extent than CA) and personal taste - I personally away ran as soft valve spring with as possible as soft a hammer spring as possible to maintain the softest a recocking action to keep the BPM (not BPS) up as high as pumpable - while maintaining 280FPS - my pump usually will only c0ck when air'ed or C02'ed. If you want to practice your "action" just drop in a softer hammer spring or a harder valve spring and should c0ck unpressurised. (keep the original combination close to drop back in for velocity)

If you do not already have one buy a Nelspot spring kit (if you can still get them?) and spend half hour over a chromo to get it sweet, swapping them in and out.

Hope this helps

A

PS Jealous as hell - any more in the box with it?

Andygoth

Phantoms are still cool
Apr 14, 2008
Stafford
Mike Cassidy at CCI is still producing phantoms and will happily send parts to the UK. he does a nice kit which comes with all the seals springs for air and Co2, pump stop and new receiver screws.
He is also great at giving advice over email :)

http://www.phantomonline.com/

The new style phantom internals will fit in an old single body/barrel phantom as one of mine is now running 2008 internals, but you do need to replace everything, bolt, hammer and powerstem.

If you want a longer barrel for it then I do have a mint condition 17 inch old style one piece barrel and body in gloss black.
Probably got some spare springs knocking around as well.
I also have one spare dialing rod if you don't have one.

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
My Jackal (Nelspot clone) won't c0ck for the same reason - unless it's gassed up

Otherwise the bolt/hammer forces powerstem back into the chamber

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
Phantoms don't **** unless there is pressure behind the spring.

Take the washers out and air it up, then come back and worry us with your woes ;)
Everybody love a smart ar..:)

OK OK so it lives again:D

More technical stuff of sorts needed tho:confused:

This has one of the old nelspot anti kink systems fitted where you adjust the velocity via spring changing and i have a tin of soft to heavy springs for the powerstem and also for the hammer.
But as is the way of the world, the velocity chart which identified what colour springs should be used with what ones to achieve a certain velocity has long gone.
So until i can get near a chrono, what achieves a higher velocity?
Softer powerstem to harder hammer or visa versa?
Or something else?

Andygoth

Phantoms are still cool
Apr 14, 2008
Stafford
A 1992 phantom should still have a dialer bolt.
A hex rod down the barrel to do the adjustment or you can strip it and adjust it with an allen key