Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Stirling barrel question?

Split Personality

Mar 31, 2007
Berkshire
Hi Guy's

Hopefully a quick question.....I am aware the newer Stirlings are Spyder threaded, but.....

Do pre 05 Angel barrels fit the older Stirlings - both are listed as metric and look the same length - just wondering if they are interchangable?

http://www.docsmachine.com/tech/barrelguide.html

If you have an old stirling and an angle barrel, it would be great if someone could try it, but please do not cross thread or force anything to make it fit! :eek:

Cheers

A

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
Alan, The Angel thread is quoted as M24x2.0

I've tried searching for original Sterling thread, but came up blank :confused:

A Brass Eagle Raptor barrel is supposed to work, if you shorten breech end as it's too long. Or if you have decent original barrel get an engineering shop to bore it for freak inserts. Got yourself an old Sterling then? ;)

outkastmike

CUMBRIA
Jan 26, 2004
Cumbria
facebook.com
I read on PBN that original Sterling had the same thread as the Maverick pump i believe and the Maverick pump is based the on the same design as the Traccer pump gun but considering nobody makes barrels for either pump your no closer i'm afraid.

Split Personality

Mar 31, 2007
Berkshire
Thanks for the replies - keep them coming someone must know?

Hi Gary,

Not yet, just investigation the possibly of aquiring an older one and the fetling requirement to meet my need of fitting a barrel kit (freak or other) - to be honest I do not want to have to buy a new stirling and cut it up! - although I may contact arrow to see if they would custom one.

Thank for the note Mike - I will keep looking on the interweb myself:)

Cheers

Alan

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
I would give Arrow a call

They supplied spare frame screws FOC for my STP in under 48 hours

Top customer support there :cool:

Dr Fingers

They don't tell me nothin
Feb 1, 2009
Dunedin, New Zealand
Thread Hijack

Hi
In a similar vein I am wondering whether I am going to have any difficulty running an old Sterling on Air? I am buying an old Sterling from a mate of mine and know it has always been run on CO2. As I recall there was not a problem changing a Cocker from CO2 to air but there could be problems going from air to CO2. Do I need to mod anything or replace O rings when setting up?
Cheers
Rich :)

P.S. Should be able to check the Angel-Sterling threads when I get the Sterling. Can bring some Angel barrels with me next time I come up to Holmbush.

Split Personality

Mar 31, 2007
Berkshire
Old Stirling on Air

Hi Doc,

At least two of our guys were running classic Stirlings on air at the crimbo Holmbush day. Air is much kinder on seals than CO2 ever was "back in the day" and makes life much easier running at temperture we were playing in (brrrrrrrrr):cool:. (Seal age may be more of a factor!!)

Not exactly sure of the modes - I think springing or shimming to get the velocity right, is the main hassel as the older Stirlings did not have a dialer.

I will PM GEETEE/YING to reply as they know more about.

Cheers

Alan

PS Thanks for letting me view the Trilly - I was sorely tempted

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
Sterling will be fine on HP air but may need tuning using springs/shims. A strip, clean and lube wouldn't hurt either. My new STP has a dialer & built for air so it's no hassle at all.

Dr Fingers

They don't tell me nothin
Feb 1, 2009
Dunedin, New Zealand
Sterling

Hi Doc,

At least two of our guys were running classic Stirlings on air at the crimbo Holmbush day. Air is much kinder on seals than CO2 ever was "back in the day" and makes life much easier running at temperture we were playing in (brrrrrrrrr):cool:. (Seal age may be more of a factor!!)

Not exactly sure of the modes - I think springing or shimming to get the velocity right, is the main hassel as the older Stirlings did not have a dialer.

I will PM GEETEE/YING to reply as they know more about.

Cheers

Alan

PS Thanks for letting me view the Trilly - I was sorely tempted
Got a funny feeling that my mate retro fitted a dialer kit but will have to check. Are seals kits easy to obtain for the older Sterlings or are they all the same? No probs on the Trilogy GT is hoping to take it next time we meet up, saves me buying the CCM kit and will help with the cost of the Sterling!

Take care
Rich :)

Stan

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
I bought a milled Freak barrel that fits the breech but at the moment i can't get it to fit through the pump handle... Sending it off to Arrow to see if they can sort it for me! :)