Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Students Rioting today

Bambulus

Wreckballer - PMGWC#2
Nov 13, 2008
that special place.
www.leekspin.com
my insurance has gone up, my road tax has gone up, food bills up, i could go on but u dont see me b******g and moaning and generally making myself look like ive got a first in being a tool. no i readress whats important and what i can afford, hell i havent been out drinkin in over a year because i deem it the least important thing for me to spend my money on.

i agree that the fees shouldnt rise this fast but your not doing yourself any favours at the moment, go out any saturday night in a uni area and tell me my tax money isnt being wasted?

and your also ignoring the main point. you CHOOSE to go to uni, you CHOOSE to fall into massive debt instead of i dunno working the other 5 days a week your not in a lecture (dont argue that u have no spare time cos of coursework) you dont have to live in dorm or rent a flat, or need a big tv. its all a CHOICE and its your own fault if you make bad ones!!!

thats my opinion. (oh there free by the way)
You may not have a first in being a tool, but you look like you're on the way to getting a 2:1 at being judgemental with a minor in generalisation.

In fact, you're being so much so that I'm feeling rather personally attacked by that post. I'm a student, I'm in my third year and I'm doing very well. I live in a nice flat, I have a nice TV, and I currently live off of so little it'd make your teeth hurt. People who say that students do nothing but drink, doss about and then whine about it get on my nerves more so than the people who actually DO drink, doss and then whine about it, only because I know that to drink, doss and then whine about it, you need a lot more than any tax-paid maintenance loan or grant will ever give you.

The people who do any of that are the ****ers who not only blow their loan at the first chance they get, but then also max their overdraft and take out a credit card; or just maybe they've taken your advice and worked alongside their degree in order to pay for the things they like. How terrible of them.

NO STATE FUND has the slightest amount near enough to what it takes to binge drink regularly and live alongside, so take a step back and reconsider before you badmouth me and mine any longer. I had a job for my first two years, then quit when I entered my third year because, quite frankly, my third year is more important to me than spending my nights waiting on the kind of people who turn around and criticise any student they can for misquoted reasons.

I'd like to congratulate you on realising that you don't need a degree to be successful. That's an honest compliment from me, because sometimes I wonder if it'd been more beneficial for me to do the same. I didn't, however, understand it that way when I was choosing my degree. I was under pressure from both my school, who were judged on how many sixth form students entered higher education, and my parents, who only ever want what's best for me. When I was 17, it was either go to university or be considered a disappointment by both of those institutions. There wasn't another alternative because that was the culture, and I can only assume it's similar elsewhere. So now I'm in uni, doing a course that I can honestly say I'm good at and enjoy doing, only to face the ignorant and judgemental views that all students are alcoholic hippies (who shouldn't have nice things) from the people who are oh-so-eager to give out their 'free opinions'. Let's just say we can all make judgements on the quality of things that are given for free.

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
in reply to those who view students as wasting their oppertunity, i've got to say as a law student myself, not only am i working as many hours as i can get (albeit in the sport i love :D) but the course is incredibly demanding. again not speaking for myself, alot of the people on my course are working a lot of hours and i've witnessed first hand people leave classes to go to work. just done another exam today but i'll be spending every day until the next studying again and fortunately i managed to get the time of work due to weather, but others aren't as fortunate :( .

yes i love going out and as do most of my peers, in my opinion its just part of the uni experience. however to say that we waste money is far too strong.
fortunately i chose to stay at home and so i do not have the living expenses to pay for, but my friends living in student accomodation are anything but wasteful. stupid things like not buying a more expensive brand of toilet roll is the extent they go to to keep costs down and i sympathise with them, and its almost sad to hear that they sometimes skip meals just to save money.

i disagree strongly with this view that students in general are lazy when it comes to their courses/work because currently i'm seeing about 147 people on my course cram in an incredibly challenging degree along with working to the point they actually miss lectures just to try and make enough money to keep on top of their costs, and definately not because they squander money. in actual fact i'm quite impressed by some of the bargain hunting powers of some of my peers :D

gldnandy1987

They call me Doc
Oct 12, 2010
flintshire
@ bambulus, i must admit i have a bad way of saying what i think, i dont think everyone is like this, this is based on what i have seen first hand. i will admit its hard to do and cudos to those (like you) who manage and do it right. my half brother went uni and he also did well.

im not a 'hater' and am not tarring all students with the same brush. well not intentionally.

as for my minor in generalisation im hurt, i was aiming for a masters, i did however say that my opinion is based on what i have seen and experienced first hand when i used to spend a large portion of my time at a uni with my 'ex'. do i get better marks for saying, some ppl are good some ppl are bad?

your opinion is also based on personal experience is it not? so does that mean are you right or am I?

i know not all students are the same, infact i doubt no two are, some are determined to do well whereas others 'go to uni for the experience' (and yes that was said to me a few times by diff ppl)

im pretty sure i didnt say that ALL students are bad naughty little hobits (sorry hippies) i also didnt say that they shouldnt have nice things or that it would be bad of them to get grants or world ending if they went out drinking. congratulations on jumping to a conclusion and not listening and at least trying to understand someone elses opinion. its the complaining tht its not fair that i really hate and then the instant defensive responses that are given and the rediculous over the top reaction of some (not all of you) students. for those who do well in uni and dont play the system/doss/blablabla (thats you i think) good on you and i hope you get the job you wanted when your done.

Bambulus

Wreckballer - PMGWC#2
Nov 13, 2008
that special place.
www.leekspin.com
@ bambulus, i must admit i have a bad way of saying what i think, i dont think everyone is like this, this is based on what i have seen first hand. i will admit its hard to do and cudos to those (like you) who manage and do it right. my half brother went uni and he also did well.

im not a 'hater' and am not tarring all students with the same brush. well not intentionally.

as for my minor in generalisation im hurt, i was aiming for a masters, i did however say that my opinion is based on what i have seen and experienced first hand when i used to spend a large portion of my time at a uni with my 'ex'. do i get better marks for saying, some ppl are good some ppl are bad?

your opinion is also based on personal experience is it not? so does that mean are you right or am I?

i know not all students are the same, infact i doubt no two are, some are determined to do well whereas others 'go to uni for the experience' (and yes that was said to me a few times by diff ppl)

im pretty sure i didnt say that ALL students are bad naughty little hobits (sorry hippies) i also didnt say that they shouldnt have nice things or that it would be bad of them to get grants or world ending if they went out drinking. congratulations on jumping to a conclusion and not listening and at least trying to understand someone elses opinion. its the complaining tht its not fair that i really hate and then the instant defensive responses that are given and the rediculous over the top reaction of some (not all of you) students. for those who do well in uni and dont play the system/doss/blablabla (thats you i think) good on you and i hope you get the job you wanted when your done.
It may have been what you've seen first hand, but you still fell into the idea that students are tax wasting morons. And it's well and good to say that you weren't tarring all students with the same brush, but to quote yourself:

which before you all jump on me and say thats a minority, ive seen it first hand with my ex who went to uni to 'study' law and we split cos her and A LOT of other students were out nearly every night wasting there money drinkin etc etc.
Seems pretty tarring to me, no matter how much you admit that there are 'good' and 'bad' people. It is a minority that go out and get hammered every night (or even every week). Everybody thinks they're morons, not just you. I have the issue of people lumping me in with them because I'm a student, which you did. I will thank you for admitting that it's not all of us, albeit if it is only because I called you out on it.

As for me jumping to a conclusion and ignoring your point. I didn't, and I didn't. I refuted each point you brought up. I get that you don't like students wasting money on things like alcohol or TVs, I don't either, hence why I pointed out that it's not tax money that pays for that. Tax money goes on residential costs, travelling costs and general living. There isn't room for anything more than that in a maintenance loan/grant.

Yes, they're complaining that it's unfair. In fact, it's true, as far as fairness goes it's not exactly an equal system. Scottish students attending Scottish universities don't pay tuition fees, welsh students attending welsh universities receive £1890 worth of grant to help cover their fees, and most of the people making the policies in parliament paid nothing in tuition since the fees weren't introduced until 1996. But that's neither here nor there. I stated earlier that I wasn't against the rise in fees, since it makes no real world difference. I don't support the riots, and completely believe that it's not even university students who are causing the trouble. Like I said, peaceful protests happened all over the country without a hitch. I also maintain that most of the protests are born from the frustrations of being backstabbed by the LibDems, but hey. Certain amount of expectation to go with that when they get into bed with the competition for a seat in a room.

I do have an issue with people making sweeping generalisations about students, because they're nothing more than generalisations and stereotypes. I wouldn't blame us for having instant defences. If it makes it any better, my post wasn't just a result of you posting, other people hold stereotyped views of students and they're just as responsible for me posting.

Thanks for the good wishes, they're appreciated.

stongle

Crazy Elk. Mooooooooooo
Aug 23, 2002
The Wynn
Visit site
You may not have a first in being a tool, but you look like you're on the way to getting a 2:1 at being judgemental with a minor in generalisation.

In fact, you're being so much so that I'm feeling rather personally attacked by that post. I'm a student, I'm in my third year and I'm doing very well. I live in a nice flat, I have a nice TV, and I currently live off of so little it'd make your teeth hurt. People who say that students do nothing but drink, doss about and then whine about it get on my nerves more so than the people who actually DO drink, doss and then whine about it, only because I know that to drink, doss and then whine about it, you need a lot more than any tax-paid maintenance loan or grant will ever give you.

The people who do any of that are the ****ers who not only blow their loan at the first chance they get, but then also max their overdraft and take out a credit card; or just maybe they've taken your advice and worked alongside their degree in order to pay for the things they like. How terrible of them.

NO STATE FUND has the slightest amount near enough to what it takes to binge drink regularly and live alongside, so take a step back and reconsider before you badmouth me and mine any longer. I had a job for my first two years, then quit when I entered my third year because, quite frankly, my third year is more important to me than spending my nights waiting on the kind of people who turn around and criticise any student they can for misquoted reasons.

I'd like to congratulate you on realising that you don't need a degree to be successful. That's an honest compliment from me, because sometimes I wonder if it'd been more beneficial for me to do the same. I didn't, however, understand it that way when I was choosing my degree. I was under pressure from both my school, who were judged on how many sixth form students entered higher education, and my parents, who only ever want what's best for me. When I was 17, it was either go to university or be considered a disappointment by both of those institutions. There wasn't another alternative because that was the culture, and I can only assume it's similar elsewhere. So now I'm in uni, doing a course that I can honestly say I'm good at and enjoy doing, only to face the ignorant and judgemental views that all students are alcoholic hippies (who shouldn't have nice things) from the people who are oh-so-eager to give out their 'free opinions'. Let's just say we can all make judgements on the quality of things that are given for free.
If it weren't misty, I could honestly say I have total empathy here, similar situation when younger, but went a different path. Generalisation is easy and good forum sport, but lets always remeber we are not the Daily Mail!

Reactions: Bambulus
Jun 11, 2008
[FONT=&quot]Anyone who protests has too much free time. I know even if I wanted to I couldn’t protest. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I always associate protesting with brainwashed unemployed. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If these students have time to protest then they cant be studying for any real subjects.
e that there is a degree in wine tasting you can get from uni
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is ridiculous, if it's your principles you make time.
I've been in employment since leaving school, started as an apprentice fitter and ended up in management.
In that time I've been at protests that make the students look like rank amateurs. I've marched for the miners and against the poll tax, protested pro-nuclear and anti-Trade Union laws.
The populace will rally against what is seen as unjust and inevitably you will get a minority who will turn to violence – on both sides of the line.

The Lib Dems haven’t just reneged on a minor policy they’ve taken a pillar of their manifesto and torn it down. They know that short of proportional representation they will never see power again for decades.

As for the crack about wine tasting degrees perhaps you would like to take a look at courses offered at a real university rather than the ones portrayed by the Conservative owned media in their mickey mouse comics.
[/FONT]

Reactions: niallist

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
I saw them live couple of weeks ago, 20 year anniversary of the Fear of a Black Planet tour (which I also attended and if you can measure concert attendance in the decades, it makes you the same as a Manilow fan). God I'm old. Anyway, aside from being a few students there (being pi$$ed and gobbing on people) the only other people in evidence were middle aged men quaffing champagne in the VIP lounge; albeit wearing clocks and goose jackets.
Me too, went to see them here in Holland. First saw them in 1988 and seen them a few years since.
But here they don't do the champagne and VIP lounge for PE. It was still a room full of streetsmart people with their caps pulled down low...
And for some reason they seem a lot scarier at this somewhat advanced age then when they were young bucks... :eek:

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
I just find all this protesting insulting
Advanced higher education is not a god given right which alot seem to think it is.
if it was then you would have everyone doing it which is unsustainable socially and financially as a nation.
Surely you jest...
If higher education were free, not everybody would be doing it. There are still loads of people that don't enjoy studying, that would prefer to work with their hands.

Who knows, some poor schlob from Ain'tGotNoMoney Avenue might just have it in him to end cancer. If he couldn't afford to go to med school, that would be a talent wasted.
And a talent wasted is the worst waste of them all.

I'm so happy I live in Holland...

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Who knows, some poor schlob from Ain'tGotNoMoney Avenue might just have it in him to end cancer. If he couldn't afford to go to med school, that would be a talent wasted.
And a talent wasted is the worst waste of them all.

I'm so happy I live in Holland...
how spooky, my university entrance exam included a written response to a question and i chose one on the availablity of higher education. one of my main arguements was exactly that point :D buddha you should definitely be a lawyer!