Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

The meaning of life

JWarren

www.khayos.co.uk
Mar 11, 2009
Billingham/Teeside
www.khayos.co.uk
I agree about the meaning of life being living, procreating then dieing but I'd love to know or think it was something else as it all just seems all a tad bit, Simple? Life's so complex and scientists discover some new specie everyday, some cure for a complex disease blah blah. Also why wouldn't this higher power show himself? Why are there natural disaster, murderers, rapists? I'd love to believe in God or some higher power but I just can't. There are so many religions with so many different god's I think I'd find it hard to even choose one. Fair enough some of the old stories in religion intertwine and the morales and some stories make sense but it all seems a bit far fetched. All this scientology crap makes things worse aswell.

It all seems a bit straightforward that we were either "put" so to say, or evolved just to live in a world so complex and beautiful (In some places!). On one hand I think that some higher power must have created all these animals, textures, plants and us, as they are so complex and perfected to their enviroment and to living. But that's evolutions job so it's 6 and 2 3s.

It's like me writing a book about the all powerful god called "Robbo The Mighty." He created the earth when superman sliding into the snake and blowing up a bunker. How he slayed villians and doers of wrong with his hpa powered marker capable of firing justice. I'll put some far fetched stories in a couple of platinum member disciples maybes a bit of paintballing history, some people could actually believe this twoddle and turn it into a religion and no one would know better. There is no scientific evidence to prove it wrong (yet) and they don't need to see this God to know he exists.

RoryM

Jul 23, 2001
Luxembourg now
Visit site
Why are we constantly looking for the meaning of life, when quite simply ther is no meaning.

We exist due to a set of rather spectacular natural events that over the last 200 years we have found more and more evidence of, and the writings of Chuck Darwin have helped us understand how we have got to the top of the tree on earth.

We are here because of single cell life forms evolved, we are here due to a catastrophic event that wiped out the top predators (dinosaurs), we are here because several hundred thousand years ago, somewhere on the land mass that we know as Africa, some groups of a higher primate species got up off their arses and moved a bit.

The rest is a relatively a short time-span (cosmologically) to bring us where we are today. So there is no meaning to life, like there is no meaning to the May-fly, it just is.
We are here to survive and carry the species forward like any other, even the most basic life forms have this encoded in them.

HTH!

Syd (NSPL)

NSPL and Pr0to KotH
Aug 30, 2001
Torquay, UK
www.purepaintball.co.uk
There is a meaning to life, but it's a personal thing for us all as individuals to identify/decide for ourselves. Find your thing and make it happen. Then you can die happy.

Also, along the way - be nice; it makes things so much more enjoyable. ;)

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
There is a meaning to life, but it's a personal thing for us all as individuals to identify/decide for ourselves. Find your thing and make it happen. Then you can die happy.

Also, along the way - be nice; it makes things so much more enjoyable. ;)
Well said, there's no preordained meaning of life: you give meaning to it yourself.

QFT to the "be nice" bit, going for self only creates friction with others, which in turn creates problems for you and contradicts the whole point of being selfish.

rewind

Shiny!
Aug 28, 2008
Kent
See, for me the meaning of life has a lot to do with religion (I am religious, yes, but not the extent where I am a backless, camp christian who will not accept anyone elses oppinion and ram my beleifs down ya throat, I base it on my experience, and my own understanding).

As far as I am aware, We were created by God. I dont know how, (im not a creationist). Scientific evidence points towards the big bang, but the big question being what lies beyond that? My answer, God. but enough of that, that is indeed another question, probably already in this forum area.

I Beleive the reason for the creation of the species is twofold.

1. To befreind and worship God.I dont know why we were created for this purpose. Maybe God needed something to do, maybe the angels got bored, but all I know is that we are here. Sometimes an action doesnt need a reason, however I am not one to say that siply because I do not like the answer given to me, I dont beleive.
2.To act as stewards over this world until such time as to his return, by which a new heaven and earth are waiting.

there may be other reasons that have been kept from us, or that we cannot comprehend, however all of philosophy is based on our human ability of comprehension, and we can only comprehend in terms of our own dimension, so other reasons may exist outside of our comprehension.

But beyond that, I think we are here to live life to its fullest. Possesions and the such are merely trivial matter that help give comfort to our life in its passing. "We are merely aliens to this world in which we temporarily live" (Some verse in the bible).
We cant take anything with us into the void, and so there is no point stockpiling what you have rather than using it.

Other creatures lives i feel are to provide sustenance to others (food chain). Everything has a purpose in this world, even if we cannot see it, just like everything happens for a reason. or so i beleive...
Live life to the max, as we only have one... before the next world.

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
2.To act as stewards over this world until such time as to his return, by which a new heaven and earth are waiting.
Man that was a bad judgement call! I think ants do a better job, all they do is clean up the mess. Maybe ants are the chosen ones.