Time for a general election?

Codiak

GWC 2010 #23
Dec 2, 2004
Newcastle
www.codiak.co.uk
... I think so!

Discuss.
Go one step further, total reform of MP's, parliament, the house of lords and of course the way the PM is put into power. As the people we have little power and until the whole system changes.

We can only elect MP's to the house of commons, we have no say over who becomes or goes into the house of lords and no direct say on who ends up as the prime minister, (see gordon brown for example) unlike the states non of the above are directly electable by the public.

this clip articulates my point much better than I ever can.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/this_week/8063136.stm

Adamantium

Modfather
Oct 25, 2006
London
www.tech4.tv
Way over due.

Gaunty for PM.

MP's should be investigated and sacked if found guilty and then prosecuted fully for theft, PM should be prosecuted for his time now and in the blair reign for the way he has totally f00ked up the countrys financial system, by most likely taking back handers from greedy bankers to let them run their course, and moving it into litchenstien or the likes so its all non traceable.
The whole system needs looking at including local councils and their greedy ways, westminster, the lot, complete overhaul.

The rules stink. The regular Briton is getting f'd over on a daily basis by a bunch of MPs who would steal soup from the homeless, if they thought they could get away with it.

But whats the alternative?

Do you really think other parties will do it any differently?

Or should we return to how it used to be where MPs dont get any money directly from the state. Instead they have to be rich enough to support themselves?

The sad conclusion I have come to is that people in charge are always going to profit at the expense of those who arent.
Democracy, government etc its just window dressing to distract from the corruption thats going on in the back room.

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
I say no, believe it or not there are plenty of MPs who work hard for their constituents who will be voted out just because public opinion is that they are all on the fiddle.

Dimbleby started off the Question Time debate last night with a statement that Anthony Steen's constituents were "besides themselves with anger" now I just happened to be in his constituency at the time, believe me, I didn't see anyone 'besides them self' (in fact nor have I ever witnessed this doppelgänger phenomenon - what a stupid phrase it is).

I would actually extend the deadline for the next general election, if needed, for this situation to sort it self all out, the unguilty MPs to regain their good reputation and to avoid the 'wrong people' taking a share due to media hyped mob frenzy!

The sums of money are insignificant compared to the waste that goes on daily on our behalf I agree with that.

But Public perception is very relevent and very important.
Suddenly, for alot of people, politicians are not the infallible, morally impeccable guardians of our everyday life that they once appeared to be.

In any case the tip of an iceberg doesnt have to be relevent, or important.

I think the giant iceberg hiding under the service is that that government simply doesnt work in its current state.