Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

whats so wrong with salm?

so he wanted to play a bit of rec-ball back in the woods!:D:D:D

it's where most of us started! and he now finished there!

But seriously though guys, Tournament paintball as a whole is trying to (and suceeding) in moving away from woods ball, they are now 2 seperate games with the same past.

Unfortunately it is events like this at a Premier even, that kick tournament paintball in the teeth. I understand this has been dealt with properly, but my point is

as the scene gets more and more profile, events are moving from woods to field now on to stadiums. Congrats to Jerry for getting the semi's etc into disney but after events like this do they expect to be invited back?

Would this have happened say if the WC had been played in a stadium?

ok, point taken! and very breif it was.

what i meant was cheating this high profile, no matter what it was. would probably not have happened had the tournament perhaps been somewhere more (i hesitate using this term) professional. step up the venues, and the limelight shows on! people should feel more responsibility to their sport

yes people may still cheat, but very little of the high profile cases like this

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Sean
ok, point taken! and very breif it was.
what i meant was cheating this high profile, no matter what it was. would probably not have happened had the tournament perhaps been somewhere more (i hesitate using this term) professional. step up the venues, and the limelight shows on! people should feel more responsibility to their sport
yes people may still cheat, but very little of the high profile cases like this
Sean, I think what deters cheating is not so much the professionalism our sport may or may not bask in but is dependant upon the number of judges, the quality of the judges, the severity of the punishments and the arena they play in, the more open and viewable it is, the less likely they are to get away with anything.
These are the real deterrents to cheating and not any moral arguments or even the professionalising of our sport...leastwise not in my experience.
In my experience, people in virtually all spheres of sport will push the limits to their furthest point regardless of any moral imperative or sense of responsibility.

Robbo

I don't post too often but i have to on this subject. I have to disagree with Robbo on this. Cheating has more to do with the people who are playing and cheating then it has to do with the number of ref's on the field. Paintball was started in the woods on the honor system...if you were hit you called yourself out. Yes i know that some people cheated out in the woods, but the difference between then and now is the fact that on a Sup Air field more people are caught because it is more "spectator friendly". Our "Pro Players" need to step up and set the example. Do teams like Avalanche, Dynasty, Strange, etc.. have to cheat to win. I think not. They all have the talent to win at the level they are playing at to win without cheating. This in my opinion would make them all real professionals. Untill the top paintball teams in the world stop almost everyone else who is playing will watch them anc come under the misconception that they too need to cheat to win.

In order for our sport to move on to the next level we ALL need to prevent cheating. This includes players, refs and promoters.
The players need to stop cheating, the refs need to enforce the rules for anybody caught and the promoters need to stand behind the decisions of the refs.

Just my 2 cents.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Tazz, if you re-read my post especially the last sentence you will realise that I 'am' saying that it is all down to the player with the judges, rules and fields just acting as variable boundaries to their propensity to cheat.
In fact, you are not in disagreement with me at all !!
Robbo

Robbo,
You're right. I didn't really read your whole post, and now that i have we are in agreement. (Just got off work, 16hr day)

I guess the question now is what can we do to eliminate cheating (as much as possible) from our sport?

Off topic: Robbo, do you know when next years millennium dates will be posted...i have to put in for leave.

weedave

Jan 16, 2002
Belfast
In a way, i think that he was thinking about retiring from Paintball and wanted to go out with an Impact. Huge publicity stunt.

If that was it plans, It worked.

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Sean the 'World Cup' Semi's were not held at Disney, a show case of the X-ball was held after the World Cup next to the parking lot at Disney's World Of Sports.

The finals of the College X-ball were supposed to be held there but they ran out of time.

I agree the level of cheating goes hand in hand with the level of judging and number of judges and the scenario. The World Cup was a clear example of this.

There is a a huge amount of 'cheating' at the top levels in this game, depending on your definition of cheating... There is an element of underhand hidden cheating (equipment based) and an element of playing to refs and fields to get away with what ever they can.

Better and more informed judging is the only way I can think of to stop it.

With some people, actions like Salm's were not so incredulous, it was just an extension of what could be gotten away with.

Is it that much worse than those that have left the bounds and re entered the game? or those that have been hit and run down field taking another four players with them... after all Salm apparently only shot 3 players out... is that better or worse than an already eliminated player taking four more guys with him?

Or what about those shooting from the dead box or as they walked off the field? Saw that a few times at the cup also...

Under such circumstances it's not that huge a jump to having a sniper in the woods... The fact that Salm thought he could get away with it shows what level of respect he had for the judging! If he'd stopped at the first two players and kept his head down it would have been a huge advantage to his team and he may have gotten away with it. Like many cheats it seems he got a bit too greedy.

manike

headrock6

Bloody Yanks!!
Jun 5, 2002
Strong Island
Visit site
Originally posted by Sean

as the scene gets more and more profile, events are moving from woods to field now on to stadiums. Congrats to Jerry for getting the semi's etc into disney but after events like this do they expect to be invited back?

Would this have happened say if the WC had been played in a stadium?

Unfortunately,here in the States we dont have those smaller stadiums that you have over there in Europe..If they were going to be held in a place like that over here it would have to be either in our Football stadiums(American)which hold up to about 80,000,or our smaller arenas which seat about anywhere from 16,000 to 20,000..And to be honest,i just dont think it would be cost effective to hold it in any of these places which leaves us with the situation we have now..

And heres the easiest solution to stopping the shenanigans that happened at Cup..Net all sides of the fields..Plain and simple..

And it could have easily happened in a stadium..At Skyball this year you could have easily got a room with a view of the field and picked people from out your window if you wanted to:p..It just comes down to severly harsh penalties and someone with the gonads to enforce em that will stop and make people think a bit before they act..

And out of curiosity,What do u guys use those lovely grass stadiums for besides the occasional paintball tourney??Im assuming soccer,umm football but i have been known to be wrong once in awhile:p