The Home Of European Paintball

XBOX360 vs PS3

Lovetone

Peter Pan of Paintball
Feb 25, 2005
Manchestoh
www.myspace.com
Did you type this using your pad?

The PS3 controllers are terribly designed. And it's not as if PS3's don't break.

I own both.

Buy a 360.
The pads arent terribly designed, they are just an old design, with ****ty triggers. £1.99 for some geotek real triggers = solved

Still, I have all consoles and 360 is the best for games / online MP.

spangley_special

Free Agent
Sep 26, 2006
Bristol
www.iamjackfranklin.co.uk
The pads arent terribly designed, they are just an old design, with ****ty triggers. £1.99 for some geotek real triggers = solved

Those triggers are actually awesome, I used to take the piss outta them, but then we got a demo set at work and I actually tried a set and they vastly improve the feel of the triggers. Not only improving the shape but also making them feel far less spongy.

Still no where near as ergonomic a pad as the 360 one tho, but with a far better Dpad.

Lovetone

Peter Pan of Paintball
Feb 25, 2005
Manchestoh
www.myspace.com
agree with the above

cos im sat on my own bored in a hotel in Aarhus, Denmark Im going to compare the 360 and PS3 on a number of points (assuming the 60GB Xbox, and the standard PS3 80GB sku) , and see which wins.

1 - Controller:
Xbox nicer shape (1 - 0 )
Xbox nicer triggers (1 - 0)
PS3 free to charge up / no batteries or playncharge to buy (0 - 1)

2 - Online experience:
Xbox has better party system (1 - 0)
PS3 is free to compete online (0 - 1)
However, the cost of xbox live means developers are more likely to develop and publish DLC - the DLC is charged for by Sony to the publisher, who arent too chuffed. Ergo, xbox live IS worth it, as it supports developers (1 - 0)
No need to buy a headset to chat on Xbox (1 - 0)
PS3 has a browser (of sorts) (0 - 1)

3 - Features:
PS3 has a bluray drive (0 - 1)
Xbox has arguably the better games catalogue, certainly larger (1 - 0)
PS3 upscales DVDs and supports more media formats when streaming (0 - 1)
PS3 has a larger HDD and ability to upgrade easily with laptop HDD (0 - 1)
PS3 has wireless out the box (0 - 1)
PS3 doesnt have HD cables out the box - only some **** AV cable (1 - 0) at least xbox has component
PS3 is much quieter when running (0 - 1)
PS3 has lower failure rate (0 - 1)
Xbox is cheaper to buy (1 - 0)
Xbox support is free / 3 year warranty vs PS3 support £5 mth subscription (1 - 0)
Xbox is marginally smaller, and a sensible shape, looks nicer etc (1 - 0)

Id say the platform exclusives pretty much cancel each other out. There are a fistful of games on only PS3 that are great, likewise Xbox.

Tally based on this write up is

Xbox 10
PS3 9

close call, but personally this is 100% objective based on my unbiased experiences. I dont care which is best cost I have both. Having BOTH is best, not one or the other.

If you could only afford one console, its making more and more sense to go with a PS3. The cross platform game quality disparity is vanishing pretty quickly, and the undenaible addition of a BluRay drive, as well as free online access (granted, youll need a £15 headset to actually have a LOL) are all points in its favour.

However as a pure Games console out the box, the XBOX FTW really.
Im lucky as I have PS3 Xbox (x2) and Wii.
I use the PS3 exclusively for the games you cant get on the Xbox, and BluRay. I also use it to play films (either DVD for upscale, and streaming) as the system is quieter meaning the TV can be quieter.

However most time is spent on the 360 by far.
I only ever turn the wii on if I have friends round.

spangley_special

Free Agent
Sep 26, 2006
Bristol
www.iamjackfranklin.co.uk
PS3 doesnt have HD cables out the box - only some **** AV cable (1 - 0) at least xbox has component
The same cable from the ps2 ;)

PS3 free to charge up / no batteries or playncharge to buy (0 - 1)
PS3 has wireless out the box (0 - 1)
Yeah, true. However you are paying for these features in both cases but with 360 you dont have to pay for them if you dont need them.

PS3 has a larger HDD and ability to upgrade easily with laptop HDD (0 - 1)
Yeah this is deceptive tho imho as the ps3 uses install data on its games (haze and mgs are like 5gb a pop om nom nom to that hdd space)

which takes me onto my next point

PS3 is much quieter when running (0 - 1)
If you NXE Install the game to you hdd it'll run as quite as a ps3 but will eat up hdd space (4-6gb per game)

Any whoo a well informed and unbiased write up lovetone, good work :)

I only ever turn the wii on if I have friends round.
DOT

If you enjoy single player games buy anything other than a wii.

If you have a household that's always got guests on the other hand they are a right laugh

Lovetone

Peter Pan of Paintball
Feb 25, 2005
Manchestoh
www.myspace.com
Hmm ok fair point on the Hard drive issue, and yes if you install NXE Xbox is quieter too. BUT I like to watch DVDs on my console too and theres no way to silence a Xbox on that application.

Ho hum.

Still I think the ability to not be raped by Microsoft at the rate of about 90p per GB for data storage is an advantage of the PS3.

And the wireless pad thing, I definitely think its great to not have to buy batteries for the PS3 pad. WIth the Xbox 60gb pack, there is NO option than to buy batteries. You cant elect to add a cable to the pad.
Ditto to the PS3 WIFI....for me, it is a ballache to run cable as my router is not in my lounge. Ergo, wireless was pretty much a requirement, lest I buy those wall plug efforts. Its a convenience that is included with the console that you dont have to pay extra for ...just like the convenience of nbot having to buy GEoteck triggers for a Xbox pad.

Good debate anyway.
I call it evens, depending on what you want out of it.

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville

I hate the fact that the thumbsticks aren't where your thumbs want to be. Also, I prefer the weight of the xbox pad.

As for batteries, I have a s**tload of rechargeable batteries knocking about for cameras/vibrators etc, which is something I reckon everybody should have.

Niall W

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2007
Cambridgeshire / Swansea
and last of all is that the xbox do s thing called the ring of fire (google it) witch makes u have to send your xbox away for up to 3 mounths
Sent mine.

They picked it up the day after i phoned them.

Took 2 weeks turnaround to go to Germany, them have a look at it and send me back a completely new one :)

Ring of fire is a bit of a pain, but effing fantastic service from microsoft it's got to be said :)

I used to own a 360 (sold it for a holiday) and a few friends have a PS3.
Got to say, i do much prefer the 360's, basically for all the reasons that have already been said ;)