Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

7 Man world standard???

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
Paintball.com has a piece saying the PanAm circuit has laid down it's hat with NPPL and swapped from 5 & 10 to 5man limited and 7 unlimited.

I know very little of the PanAm, are the organisers linked with Chuck etc or is this a genuine step as they think the NPPL is doing the right thing?

7 man takes over the world - rock on :D

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
I think a more interesting issue for U.S. paintball is essentially a move that will promote team development to the 7-man game in the western U.S. instead of peaking at 10-man. Clearly it will take time to take hold as plenty of experienced players and 10-man teams already exist but if it is sustained this move would ultimately begin to shrink the active base to play 10-man. (And as it stands there aren't many places to play 10-man outside the big events right now--and now even fewer.)
If more of the regional and/or statewide promoters start switching their "premier" format it won't take long to start pinching as teams will be geared to 7-man and the developmental progression will lead naturally to Super 7.
This is actually a really big deal in the coming PSP v. Super 7 competition.

headrock6

Bloody Yanks!!
Jun 5, 2002
Strong Island
Visit site
Correct me if im wrong but

didnt Pan-Am try and branch out to the east coast not so long ago and flop big time for lack of interest in 7-man??How do we start peaking interest over here on my side of the States??Is it gonna be that we just force 7-man onto everyone and hope for the best...I think most people who just immerse themselves just a little bit into paintball knowledge seem to agree 7-man is the way to go for the future...Lets just hope my east coast bretheren feel the same..

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Correct me if im wrong but

Originally posted by headrock6
didnt Pan-Am try and branch out to the east coast not so long ago and flop big time for lack of interest in 7-man??How do we start peaking interest over here on my side of the States??Is it gonna be that we just force 7-man onto everyone and hope for the best...I think most people who just immerse themselves just a little bit into paintball knowledge seem to agree 7-man is the way to go for the future...Lets just hope my east coast bretheren feel the same..
When PanAm came east they weren't playin' 7, I don't believe. What hurt 'em was limited paint.
What's more interesting now with Super 7 on the horizon is a potentially reciprocal arrangement. Why play 7 before when the top of the pball heap was 10-man? With the elite being separated into X (possibly) and 2 national series it may be--in part--home grown feeder series that put one or the other over the top in popularity and with 7-man being a viable national series option it's alot easier for developing teams to build as 7's on the local level.

Dannefaerd

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2001
New Zealand
www.whatever.net.nz
Woo hoo

Hmmm ... I've said it before, I'll say it again ...

Millennium = 7 player
NPPL S7 = 7 player
APPL (Australia) = 7 player
Kiwi Land (NZ) = 7 player
IAO = 7 player
PanAm = 7 player

The writing is on the wall people ....

headrock6

Bloody Yanks!!
Jun 5, 2002
Strong Island
Visit site
Re: Correct me if im wrong but

Originally posted by Baca Loco
When PanAm came east they weren't playin' 7, I don't believe. What hurt 'em was limited paint.
Yeah,the mentioning of limited paint jarred a memory loose in this brain o mine....I dont believe it did have anything to do with 7-man...Hope is restored..

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
Baca - as I posted, just playing devils advocate here, does the PanAm organisers have any links to the NPPL/Sup7 series.

If they do then while I fully support the result of their step, their reasons might be not be so pure.

But if there are no links and they are genuinely doing it to get this sport to some sort of standard - and one that does seem widely supported Dann :) - and help teams to aspire to the top stage without having to merge, rebuild etc etc then hell yeah I'm stoked.

And while you bring up the point of newer teams building for 7 man, also 10 man temas with a bit of dead wood can do some cutting and be more competitive - another good attraction.

....and considering the implications of this and the erroding of the PSP "powerbase" of 10 man then I was kinda suprised it took a while to get replies :)

R

raehl

Rule #1 of the Paintball Industry

Everybody is connected to everybody. There's probably at most 30-50 people who really run things at the top level. Those numbers might even be high.

As for if Pan Am and S7 are especially connected.... no comment. :)

Although the more astute of you may remember that the last NPPL meeting was paired up with the Pan-Am finals.

- Chris

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
I am well aware of the incestuous nature of our dear game :) hence why I asked :)

But whatever the motives, the reasoning is sound and sticks another blow to the PSP's protestations that 10man is the pinnacle.