Upgrade your Game
Jul 11, 2005
UK
www.paintball-upgrades.co.uk
so long as you dont mind needing twice the amount of ram to do anything
Memory management for operating systems

im 2nd year computer and management student

heres a quote from a MS employee

We redesigned the memory manager in Windows Vista so that if you give the system more memory, it uses that memory much more efficiently than previous operating systems via a technique called SuperFetch
Because of the superfetch, Vista stores more in the memory, however when a program would not be used for a while in xp, xp would swap the program to the backing store(hard disk) and then back into memory once it was needed again. This often meant that less RAM was used and new, not previously run small programs loaded faster than Vista because they wernt in the memory and the memory may be largely full, so either swapping or shuffling would occur on the memory, which depends on CPU so that would also slow the program launch down, and if you have a slow hard drive the swap may take longer, that assumes that both the cache on the hard drive and the cpu are of a bad quality, hence why a fast hard drive and cpu with lots of cache run faster when using vista than xp.

SuperFetch understands which applications you use most, and preloads these applications into memory, so your system is more responsive. SuperFetch uses an intelligent prioritization scheme. Windows Vista can also prioritize your applications over background tasks
So to sum up, Vista uses more memory for you most used programs, i cant see why you would have a problem with this as whats the problem with an OS using 2, 3 or even 4GB of RAM, otherwise it just sits there, doing nothing, what a waste of money. The "lag" or "slowness" people report is usually because they use 90% of the same programs or services and when they launch something new it takes time to load.

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
Can you see how much I care for those people? Amazing isnt it.

My point being, Vista is fine, people who bash it should get a better PC.
If Vista was fine Microsoft would not be spending as much time trying to improve it. You may have a good high powered pc, but Vista was designed for the average PC and failed miserably. Companies released Vista machine and put in 1 Gb of memory, twice as much as XP and thought that would be enough. That was ok for then as they knew you would come back for the extra 1 Gb, that you needed to make Vista match the speed of XP and at that time memory was not that cheap.

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
If Vista was fine Microsoft would not be spending as much time trying to improve it. You may have a good high powered pc, but Vista was designed for the average PC and failed miserably. Companies released Vista machine and put in 1 Gb of memory, twice as much as XP and thought that would be enough. That was ok for then as they knew you would come back for the extra 1 Gb, that you needed to make Vista match the speed of XP and at that time memory was not that cheap.

Good marketting if you ask me.

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
No doubt about it, except Vista does not offer joe average much benefit, so the take up has been lousy.
It's even more worrying when Microsoft are actually selling special Vista licenses with XP downgrade rights after they officially end XP in June 08. Normally what a company would do is use its existing licenses up and then that it but some of the major companies have persuaded Microsoft that they need to be able to let the customer choose as demand for XP is still very high. The other problem is that businesses take a long time to upgrade. For many of them Windows 2000 is stable enough, so why should they upgrade, other companies are running XP and Server 2000/2003 with no problems. If you think joe average has a problem with software and driver compatability, I know many businesses whose critical software only runs on Windows 2000 pc's, never mind XP.

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
Yep initial take up was outstanding, more through hype than anything else trouble is it did not keep up that momentum. Plus you have to look at the amount of PCs now to when 98 and XP were released. Microsoft themselves have admitted that follow up sales are well down on predictions and extra resources were put into the development of SP1
End of the day it boils down to the fact that XP is too good and Vista is not yet good enough. SP1 will be the make or break of Vista, only time will tell.

ION_CRAZY

Upgrade your Game
Jul 11, 2005
UK
www.paintball-upgrades.co.uk
When you consider the fact that XP wont be sold comercially after June this year, and most system builders wont be putting XP on machines as of June next year at the latest, i think XP will slowly have support dropped for it and people will transition

AL21784

I love lamp
Sep 19, 2005
Hijacking Balf's datas
When you consider the fact that XP wont be sold comercially after June this year, and most system builders wont be putting XP on machines as of June next year at the latest, i think XP will slowly have support dropped for it and people will transition
to be honest, when i build a machine up, i want a stable platform that i know will work, can get drivers for and so and such forth...

up until the point where MS brings out the sp1 for vista, and i can get a version similar to xp pro (what i use on my machines) I'm not even going to bother with it.. xp pro works really well... why bother changing just for the sake of it :confused: :cool:

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
Don't be naive enough to believe that.
What Microsoft actually do is sell Vista license downgrade rights. That what the likes of Dell, HP. PC World etc have been doing for the last year. There are 1000's of XP running machines in the UK that are actually run off a Vista License and I can guarantee your local authority is one of them