Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Getting Air Bottles Tested

Davo

Goldmember
May 9, 2002
Middlesbrough
Visit site
In my wisdom and desire to save a few bob I bought an 3000psi air system from the States a few months ago.

Not knowing that there would be any real difference between the two types of system I am now told that I will have difficulty when I want the Bottle retesting in November this year.

Because of the different systems I have been told that I am unlikely to find anywhere in the UK that will test this bottle for me, thus rendering it almost obselete, unless of course I send it off to the states for a re test which will make this a very expensive exercise.

I dont suppose I am the only one who has ever encontered this problem, would anyone care to share their knowledge as to:
a) will I be able to get it tested in the UK and b) if yes, does anyone know where?

Thanks

SirJinks

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Jun 21, 2002
Southampton
Visit site
I'm assuming the bottle you have is DOT and not HSE?

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but even if you managed to find somewhere here to hydrotest it, I've heard that it is illegal to even fill a non-HSE bottle in the UK so using it may cause you further problems. :(

If no-on else can help it might be an idea to cut your losses and try to re-sell. Planet Eclipse are currently selling 2nd hand HSE bottles for relatively cheap prices if thats any help.

Sorry

Cube

M2Q'd eblade or the LV1...decisions, decisions
May 4, 2002
Warrington
Originally posted by SirJinks
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but even if you managed to find somewhere here to hydrotest it, I've heard that it is illegal to even fill a non-HSE bottle in the UK so using it may cause you further problems. :(
Sorry to be a pain here guys but can anyone in the know verify this DOT HSE thing. I did ask on another thread ages ago, but no-one replied :(

As far as I know I've got a DOT bottle, one of the early imports of the Max-Flo system, so has one of my mates.

We've both had them tested and both have passed and had their little cylinder test sticker added.

WTF is going on? On one hand I'm reading here that it's not allowed, no-one will do the test and it's illegal to fill them, on the other hand I've got physical evidence that the test can and has been done and my bottle has passed.

I don't really want to have to bin my 1.9l bottle on heresay!

Anyone got a definative position here I can check with Planet, (the guys that sold the system originally, and had it retested with their sub-contractor).

Cheers

PS wasn't this a crap message for my 100th post?

:( ;)

MRfixit

Apr 16, 2002
south east
Visit site
DOT CYLINDER IS THE USA SPEC,LIKE OUR SAFETY STANDARDS.HSE IS IN THE UK SAFETY STANDARDS SPEC TO WHICH THE CYLINDER IS TESTED.THE UK HSE CYLINDER IS NORMALLY TESTED TO GREATER SPECS THAN THE DOT CYLINDER.I HAVE ALL MY CYLINDERS TESTED AT A LOCAL FIRE EXTINGUSHER TEST HOUSE.(LOOK IN YELLOW PAGES.).I ASKED THEM BEFORE IF THEY WOULD TEST A DOT CYLINDER TO HSE SPEC & THEY SAID THEY WOULD,BUT IF IT FAILED THEY WOULD DRILL A HOLE IN IT TO STOP FURTHER USE.THE NEW ANGEL AIR IS BOTH HSE & DOT SPEC.IF IT WAS TESTED & PASSED WITH A TEST CERT,THEN I THINK ALL SHOULD BE OKAY.BEST CHECK WITH A LOCAL COMPANY.HOPE THIS HELPS.:D :D :D :D :D

Davo

Goldmember
May 9, 2002
Middlesbrough
Visit site
DOT bottle testing

I have just e mailed PLanet to ask them to share their wealth of experience and knowledge!!!!

Keep posting everyone and I'll update if and when Planet reply!!

SirJinks

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Jun 21, 2002
Southampton
Visit site
My info comes from what I've read from various sources. I did speak to the guys at Smart Parts Europe a while back about air tanks as they listed both HSE and DOT tanks on their site. The guy there told me he was NOT allowed to sell the DOT tanks in the UK.

I get the impression that the DOT / HSE business is similar to the 30 mph speed limit - you know its there but you still go over it. I guess there are places that are either ignorant about filling DOT bottles or (providing the bottle is hydro'd ok) are willing to fill it anyway.

Mark

UK Cougars
Jul 9, 2001
England
www.ukcougars.co.uk
Sir Jinks You missed quoted Smart Parts they ARE allowed to sell DOT tanks to you its legal (they may not like to incourage the sale)...BUT...to use a DOT bottle in this country is illegal unless you are visiting this country from abroad.
Put simply DOT bottles in this country (UK) Legal to sell, Legal to own, ILLEGAL to use. So Smart Parts aren't doing anything wrong.
Elsewhere in this thread it was posted that if the tank (DOT) failed then it would have a hole drilled through it to stop any further use....NO WAY !!!! DOT can not be legally tested in THIS country...send your tank to have it tested and it is a DOT and you will get a hole drilled in it even if was brand new !!

I know when this subject has come up before some people have posted and said that they got their tank (DOT) tested in this country so it must be ok....NO WAY these people doing the testing are invalidating thier testing license. DOT testing regulations are less than the HSE regulations.

As a side note I agree that this difference should be done away with but until the government gets rid of all the red tape that is the state of affairs

Hotpoint get involved please.

Cube

M2Q'd eblade or the LV1...decisions, decisions
May 4, 2002
Warrington
Originally posted by Mark
Sir Jinks You missed quoted Smart Parts they ARE allowed to sell DOT tanks to you its legal (they may not like to incourage the sale)...BUT...to use a DOT bottle in this country is illegal unless you are visiting this country from abroad.
Put simply DOT bottles in this country (UK) Legal to sell, Legal to own, ILLEGAL to use.
Actually I've just chatted with Ledz at Planet over his very topic today.

My bottle was tested to DOT standards, they are apparently allowed to do this.

Legal to own and use, illegal to commercially fill the bottle.

Basically if I use the bottle myself, fill it from my own cylinders I'm OK, if I went somewhere in the UK and tried to get a fill off of a compressor, (or a bottle), and got charged for it the filler could get done for it. :(

So if anyones selling an HSE 1.9 cylinder out there think of me. I may need one eventually :(

Mark

UK Cougars
Jul 9, 2001
England
www.ukcougars.co.uk
Originally posted by Cube

Actually I've just chatted with Ledz at Planet over his very topic today.

My bottle was tested to DOT standards, they are apparently allowed to do this.

Legal to own and use, illegal to commercially fill the bottle.

Basically if I use the bottle myself, fill it from my own cylinders I'm OK, if I went somewhere in the UK and tried to get a fill off of a compressor, (or a bottle), and got charged for it the filler could get done for it. :(

So if anyones selling an HSE 1.9 cylinder out there think of me. I may need one eventually :(

To be used means have it filled (wether by yourself or another) to use that filled tank on a UK field UNLESS you are a foreign national it is ILLEGAL

sell, own, legal, use under any circumstances is illegal.....ok you won't get arrested but you are playing with no insurrance whatsoever. Its a **** that some people are more equal than others (sorry read too much at school) buts thats the rules.

Ok I'll bend a little and say that perhaps the testing of the DOT tanks "can" be done but then the testers could argue that they have no control as to wether or not you are actually going to use the tank..so thats their get out, but the above paragraph still will apply.