Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Paintball Photography

AmyStroodle

Jan 7, 2014
Leeds,West Yorkshire
www.facebook.com
I'm planning on attempting some paintball photography and serched relentlessly for the best tips and techniques but everyone seems to have different opinions and ideas.

What I've gathered so far is:

1) Use some sort of cover, raincover, for the camera so if the camera/I am hit the paint doesn't go into the buttoms.
2) Have a thick head band around the part where the lens fits the camera to prevent paint getting in there.
3) Use a 75-200mm lens.
4) Be inside the meshy fencey thing or the pictures will be terrible.
5) Make it obvious you're not playing. Hi-Viz? (Cheers Kevin)

Some people suggest using:

1) No filter, as the more glass infront of the lens the lower the quality of the image. But you risk the lens element being damaged and it will take time to clean if it's hit.
2) One clear filter, to protect the lens element and you can swap them quickly if it gets hit, but if the filter shatters you can seriously scratch the lens element with the glass.
3) Use 2 filters so if the outside one shatters the second one stops the glass damaging the lens element.

Has anyone here ever done/ knows anyone who has done photography at a tournment or woodsball?
Any tips and tricks? Advice?

Greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Kevin Winter

Dec 10, 2008
Wear something very bright and obvious (like a big yellow Hi-viz vest) to make it obvious you aren't playing...

Hazza

Dec 10, 2012
Aye. :) Forgot to put that on my post. Possibly a bright orange hoodie or a Hi-Viz. If I contacted the site or event first they might let me borrow a marshall top?
if you borrow a marsall top it will cause great confusion as players will look to you for a paint check etc.

paul colwill

Nov 20, 2013
County Durham
my advice would be to ask people if they want a couple of shots and get them to pose for you. in my experience you would get the same type of shots during a game anyway and you do risk the kit being hit or damaged, just ask yourself how much different could the photos be and is it worth the risk??. get shots before the game, in and around the play area, and i would then stand in front of the group and get them running off to battle, towards you and the camera, then stay at a safe distance. i think if you tried to go headfirst into a full blown game it would be mental. as far as clothes go, find a bright pink top or a colour that no-one else uses and get a big P printed on the back so everyone knows its you, also introduce yourself to the players at the start of the day or when the head marshall briefs everyone and make everyone aware that you are there. until you know your sport inside out and the etiquette that goes with it just take small steps for now and gain experience, it will come soon enough and pretty soon you'll be an expert. good luck with it and enjoy cos photography is awesome. give me a shout if yer need to know owt else about photography, cheers

AmyStroodle

Jan 7, 2014
Leeds,West Yorkshire
www.facebook.com
How much different could the photos be and is it worth the risk??
Great advice and it will be taken into account! As for how different the pictures could be; I'd love to get shots like the following.

http://splatphotos.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/PA246051.306200132_std.JPG
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4SDxlNT5I48lGlWi5Kja-0mX3hYu3HJ9jwVoCyWDaf02z3b4OWhich would only come from taking snaps whilst they play. (Have to admit I'm not sure I could achieve such shots yet anyway)

I've got a canon 550D and would be using a canon 75-300mm Lens. Yet to buy a kind of rain cover and can't decide what to do filter wise.

paul colwill

Nov 20, 2013
County Durham
always keep a filter on, a uv filter protects the front element from all the elements, you won't find many, if any, pros without one. if you do get hit just move out of the arena and clean the kit, remove the filter and wash the paint off, maybe carry a bottle of water with a sports cap so you can spray the filter and dry with tissue and lens cloth.
as for the examples, yeah they are great but you would need at least a canon 7D shooting at 8 frames per second to catch something like this and its purely by chance that it would come off, if this were me i'd be rattling off thousand of frames, it would possibly have been shot from the safety of the sidelines also as it looks like a tournament, they would have used a long, fast lens and it looks like a little post production has been used to give the burst effect some oomph. if you plan to shoot tourneys then do it from the sideline and use a tripod with your long lens, a high iso and shutter speed will need to be used as i think your lens will only go to f5.6???
if you are shooting in the woods then find a neutral spot, pick a player out and shoot away until you get something that looks good. your camera only does 3.7 frames per second but that's not to say it isn't up to the job