Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Player Representative

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
You mean I won't get lots of free stuff?

It's not an expenses paid gravy train?

And there is actual WORK involved?

That's it, I'm out.

G

Gassy

That's it, I'm out.
with you that would make 1 too many follically challenged people on the Fed board for my liiking;):p:D

Seriously though Jonathan would make an excellent rep for the players as would Twizz or Lump

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I think some people want to be the rep because of the cred that would come with it. What they have to realise is that this is a commitment, and comes with responsibility, and unpaid responsibility at that.
Who currently does volunteer work for the Pball community?
The Mods on this site.
Also, who has a better conduit to the UK playing public than a P8nt mod?

I seriously wouldn't want to do it. My time is a premium to me and people have to pay big bucks for it. If someone is willing to do it, and they have a proven track record like Lump or Twizz, then I would expect people to back them all the way. These people can be judged by their previous actions, rather than their promises of good-will.
I think a lot of people believe the mods seek out this job so as to exercise power over others; sometimes it may look that way I'm sure but the truth of the matter is far-flung from this belief.

I think the mods, generally speaking, are some of the most patient people I have ever had the pleasure to meet and work with.
They are committed to paintball in a different way to most I think ... I'll explain.
If we assume what I just said is true, in that they are not power-hungry traffic warden types, then you have to ask the question, why do they do it?

I think the answer lies in the fact these guys want paintball to improve on every level and that includes this site, and for that I am hugely grateful for obvious reasons.

They say that a 'person's eyes are a window to their soul', I think this site is a window to the soul of paintball, especially UK paintball.

That being the case, our mods are guys who really care about the way that window is presented, and they express this protective feeling by working hard [with no pay whatsoever] to clean up our site from some of the stuff that tends to clutter the place up.

And that clutter includes many things, ignorant posts, abusive posts, inflammatory or racist posts ...and so on; our mods work hard to make sure anybody visiting our site has a responsible and positive impression of what our beloved sport is like.. and for the most part, that is exactly what they get.
Imagine what people must think after reading some of Pbnation's threads .... I shudder to think.

I realise some of the things I might get into infringe that protocol but make no bones about it, if Jay [Buddha 3] believes I am contravening the best interests of this site, he WILL either delete my post or at the very least talk to me about it .... and that's the truth of the matter.
Nobody is immune from this mandate.

This site, without mods, would be a nightmare and a disgrace to paintball, of that I am sure, and that's because, liberalism on forums like this generally mean the lowest common-denominators of behaviour tend to dominate.
Myself and my mods won't let that happen.

jeanlee411

Apr 30, 2010

That's it, I'm out.
I think some people want to be the rep because of the cred that would come with it. What they have to realise is that this is a commitment, and comes with responsibility, and unpaid responsibility at that.
Who currently does volunteer work for the Pball community?
The Mods on this site.
Also, who has a better conduit to the UK playing public than a P8nt mod?

3Bird

May 1, 2010
Stroud, UK
Hello all, im new to the forums and to the sport for that matter so I cant comment about the representatives others have put forward due to not knowing them, there actions within the sport or indeed there views on the sport although I put my faith in my piers to put forward representatives who would do there best to improve the sport.

But just a simple observation from an outsider, if, as it is my understanding, the federation’s aims to improve and promote all areas of paintball in the UK, would it not be best to have 3 player reps chosen not by the geographical location but by their preferred area of the sport, for example to have 1 rep from woods ball, 1 rep from tourney and 1 rep a ref ideally with a marshalling background.

My thinking is that a high quality player in their chosen area of the sport will, at the very least, have an understanding of the grass routes of their sport. So while it may be near impossible to find a completely unbiased single player who has a good understanding of what the players want from all sides of the sport, having 2 who come from (at least in my eyes) opposite ends of the sport and a ref will collectively give an unbiased opinion?

I also realize that while this, or something along these lines might be an ideal, that paintball in the UK is fairly small scale sport and as such its federation might find it unviable to have 3 player reps. It’s just an observation from an outsider to the sport so if im wrong on any specific point I’d appreciate it if you would explain to me where and why.

J.A Houston

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
J.A.H. - for somebody new to the sport, you sure do have a matured take on things which kinda makes me think, or rather suspect, but I shall give you the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

One of the dangers when committees are formed is that anybody and everybody feel as though they should have a voice and a position, or at least it seems that way.
For any representative board to work properly, it has to be manageable in terms of numbers because it has been proved far too many times before, that too many reps gets us nowhere.
The board has to be a focal group of individuals who are able to perform a duty of care and possess the ability to make responsible decisions; in this case, those decisions are gonna be focused toward a betterment of UK paintball.

The tournament scene is our focal point at present and to that end, we are hell-bent on trying to do what's best and so far, we have done pretty well and any hurdles we have faced over this past year were not of our creation.

You only have to take a look at the two leagues we sanction [the NSPL and the CPPS] to see the direction we are trying to go.
The promoters involved, Chrissie Pelling [NSPL], Rich Harris and Mark Carter [CPPS] have shown from the very beginning a very real and genuine willingness to work alongside the Federation.
It ain't easy doing this for those guys I can tell ya and I have nothing but respect for all three of them!!!!
After all, to some extent, these guys don't have to work with us at all and I'm sure they would be very successful without us but to a man, they can all see the bigger picture.
They have the vision and foresight to know that working with the Federation brings for everybody and not just for the back-pocket bank balance.

We do not need too many reps, and I think 3 reps for players is too many.
Everybody on that board knows full well what players want in tourneys, woodsball or whatever.
We have people on this board who have played at every level of the game and been involved in paintball for longer than you have been alive.
I am sure the person finally selected to represent the players will represent every sphere of the game you have just mentioned, and that's because most players in the frame [for selection] have played at every level.

If you are genuinely who you say you are, then you make a good point and I am glad I had a chance to answer it but remember here, this is my personal point of view and maybe not the point of view of the rest of the board.
I realise I maybe the chairman of that board but I am still only one vote, and rightly so.

I welcome you to this forum and I hope you get to love the game as much as the people sat around that board table, and of course all our members on here.

3Bird

May 1, 2010
Stroud, UK
Robbo, first I’d like to say thank you for, in short, explaining the federation to me. If the board members are as experienced in all areas of the game as you say they are, and I have no doubts that they are I believe your right, 3 reps would be to many. But at the same time I have to ask is it worth having a player rep(s) at all? Again im sorry if this is a dumb question so let me try and explain my point of view better.

If the purpose of the rep is to make the federation more transparent to the players, and the federation already produces reports of all its meetings, it seems to me that a player rep would be a lot of hassle for not a lot more transparency as the player rep would just be reporting what happened in the meeting in a slightly less formal tone than the report of the meeting itself. And if the board members are as you say they are a player rep wouldn’t be adding much to the board in terms of a player representative vote or at least no more than any other board member.

Its for the above points that I find it hard to justify having a player rep. The only way that I can justify having a player rep (until someone better explains the reasoning behind the decision) is if the player rep would be elected for a term (a length of time pre-defined by the board) to give a ‘fresh’ player perspective so that at the end of the first player reps term, a new player rep would be elected to, again, give a ‘fresh’ player perspective so as to avoid ‘stagnation’ within the board and its ideas.

I really don’t mean to offend anyone with what im saying at all so please forgive me if you do take offence. I’m just trying to understand what the board is trying to achieve by having a player rep and im sure there are many reasons im missing.

As for who you suspect I am Robbo I have no idea, for what little its worth I truly am who I say I am although I can understand that on an online forum it is easy to hide behind an alias, and as such cause suspicion as to the true identity of the individual. While I would be willing to offer proof of who I am there Is, I fear, nothing I could give that could not be called fake and anything that couldn’t be disputed I would not be willing to post on the internet.

I was only going to post a thank you for welcoming me to the forums and for you detailed reply ><

J.A Houston

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I have to admit that when we first started out, the board profile was necessarily made up of two basic interests, the industry and the promoters with the latter not having any voting rights because it was felt this was inappropriate.

You cannot have people voting on areas where they can benefit from, there is no way these people could disentangle their own interests from their board decisions and so the only people who could actively vote were the industry board members who subsequently held a full position on the board table.

The reason why I think the emphasis was on industry people was because it was these guys who had the resources and clout; basically, they had the money to back up the initiative and it has been proved time and again that players cannot organise themselves into a coherent body that can resource itself .. it has never happened [though there have been numerous attempts] and never will.

The industry guys knew what direction we had to take tournament paintball and more importantly, we had the resources to underpin that change of direction.
Tournament paintball was dying on its feet because in basic terms, the product was cr@p and players and teams were leaving in droves... something had to be done to rescue the situation.

However, I do think we need a player rep if only to negate any elitist accusations we get from certain corners of our sport; one thing you will learn in this sport is, there are a few individuals that cannot wait to jump on other's initiatives and decry their attempts.
Their reasons are varied, sometimes personal, sometimes thru jealousy and other times because people just like to moan at something because their own lives are so frikkin miserable.
From ex out of work painter and decorators to extremely overweight masseurs, they queue up to try and destroy what others might attempt.

I think though, the vast majority of our player base is really cool and they understand what needs to be done but I think for fair play and transparency, a player's rep is needed and we have a fair number of prospective candidates who have offered their services, all of whom are qualified as far as I can see.
The board know these guys and will at our next meeting [11th May] select a candidate.
Once again, welcome to our sport .... the best part is .... playing, that's what it's all about J.
Enjoy yourself !

MsHell

Shooting for the ladies
Dec 21, 2007
So to start the ball rolling we would like people to put potential candidates forward for who YOU would want to represent the players. Once a short list has been decided we will have an on-line vote and the chosen one or two will be invited to a Fed meeting in due course.

The Federation.
I thought it was going to be an on-line vote which meant the player rep was going to be picked by the players and not just by the board???