Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Players Conference?

Raffles

Going....going....not quite dead yet...
Jun 21, 2004
oldham - lancs
Be very careful with auctions and bring & buy stalls. Security is the main problem. Anyone running one opens themselves up to all sorts of problems. I'm not saying "don't do it" - just make sure you know ALL the ups and downs of doing so first.

synergy

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2008
Bicester
Be very careful with auctions and bring & buy stalls. Security is the main problem. Anyone running one opens themselves up to all sorts of problems. I'm not saying "don't do it" - just make sure you know ALL the ups and downs of doing so first.
seems like you have a bit of knowledge on this bud, if its going too be a bit iffy then maybe its not a good idea after all. you say about security ect can you elaborate a little from any experiences you had maybe it will be a deciding factor :)

Raffles

Jun 21, 2004
oldham - lancs
Let's say someone wants to sell their marker. Do they stand at your 'stall' all day and try to sell it - or do they leave it with you? If it gets left with you - you are taking full responsibility for it.

Now, if said marker "disappears" or ends up being a dud (buyer buys it as a working marker - only for it to fall to pieces at a later date) who are they going to call on?

Now if 10 people leave items with you....

You see the problem. That's just one example of what can happen. I'm not saying it will - but it could.

I guess you've already seen the numerous 'problems' posted in the "Talk to the Mods" forum with sales that have gone 'tits-up'. You want to be in the middle of all that?

Like I said mate - it will take some serious thinking about. Good luck (and the best of British) if you do go ahead with the idea.

synergy

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2008
Bicester
cheers bud at the end of the day it will be up too robbo and steve as to go ahead or not, at least they have some info too make their decision, there are ways around any problem but maybe too much of a headache too sort out at present ???

Rat

eating brick!
Sep 18, 2005
worcester UK
how about each sale is done in "cloakroom" style.

each item has the sellers username, price (min offer accepted aswell perhaps) etc all on a tag on the item and the seller also gets a receipt. so for example

item number 232
seller rat
price £15
min £13

then when i come back later in the day i hand over my ticket with number 232 on it and claim the money paid up buy the buyer.

seller claims responsibilty to buyer should it be needed. ( shouldn't as buyer is paying with cold hard cash on the spot, after seeing the item in the flesh, unlike buying through the forum)

also another location I would recommend is the NAC stoneleigh warwick if your looking for somewhere still, though may be too expensive for this.

niallist

SPS - First 9
Nov 2, 2008
London
Sorry mate but that sounds like way too much faffing about. Good ideas though.

Just have a trading area where people can meet and trade. Maybe have a board for people to put up pictures and prices and contact details.

Keep it simple, keep it cheap. Keep all the responsibility with the buyer and seller.

Raffles

Jun 21, 2004
oldham - lancs
Do you not think a "bring & buy" table will 'cheapen' the event? Also, this may deter trade stands - as it'll turn in to more of a jumble sale than a 'conference'.

If people want to meet there and do their deals in the car park - then, that's up to them. Let's not drag this show down before it's began. Instead, let's help make this a 'jewel in the crown' of UK (and maybe European) paintball.

Cube

M2Q'd eblade or the LV1...decisions, decisions
May 4, 2002
Warrington
Do you not think a "bring & buy" table will 'cheapen' the event? Also, this may deter trade stands - as it'll turn in to more of a jumble sale than a 'conference'.
Totally agree, I think it should be a basic rule of the event that no buying and selling of private equipment may be performed within the conference venue.

If people choose to use the event as an opportunity to meet people afterwards and trade/handover already sold equipment that's a different matter, as long as its done outside the venue.

You don't want the bad publicity of a few deals gone bad to tarnish the burgeoning reputation of a quality event.

niallist

SPS - First 9
Nov 2, 2008
London
That's fair enough, I'm not particularly keen to see a second hand trading space but if there is one the responsibility and expense should be shifted away from the organisers as much as possible.

That was the point I was trying to make really.

So I agree with both of you. Which is nice.;)