Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Over a year on from SP...

fred1

***fessional Heckler
Sep 25, 2003
GVA Massive
www.rodeurs.ch
To get back to subject happy to see there is at least one company that has some cojones!!!!

Or one company that is completely crazy...!

If Dye and NPD went for a settlment they must have had a good reason.

Anyhow I definitely want to see blood shed and hopefullly it will be Dumbass Parts doing the bleeding.

Originally posted by fred1
Dye and NPD went for a settlment they must have had a good reason.

Anyhow I definitely want to see blood shed and hopefullly it will be Dumbass Parts doing the bleeding.

Dye and NPS went for a settlement because they had no other option.

WDP arent fighting SP for internet forum kudos.

They are a business and if they want to remain one they have to act like one.

They are fighting because they believe they can win, and so do I.

Rabies

Trogdor!
Jul 1, 2002
London, UK
Dye and NPS (and ICD and Eclipse for that matter) came to a settlement because it was cheaper than fighting a lengthy patent case. Simple as that.

It remains to be seen if WDP will "see it through" - AFAIK they have not had the dodgy patent waved at them yet; what they have done is wave some irrelevant patents of their own towards SP as a threat. (Irrelevant because they quite clearly don't apply to any current SP product.) Think of it like a nuclear deterrent - everyone knows that the actual cases wouldn't go anywhere, but the threat of it costing the other company lots of money to fight it prevents both parties from pushing the issue too hard. Thus the issue is at stalemate between WDP and SP, and each company carries on its business otherwise unaffected.

Rabies

Trogdor!
Jul 1, 2002
London, UK
So what does :rolleyes: mean? I'd love to think there has some great political drama behind the scenes, but what I've said is reason enough in 99% of patent cases (at least in the real world, maybe not in fairy-tail-paintball-land.) Maybe that is one of the things so deeply screwed about the US patent system, but nearly every time a company finds itself in a patent row, it will either sign an agreement with the patent holder, or find a way to stop using IP covered by the patent, regardless of whether it has any validity or not. Why? Because it's cheaper, thus good business sense.