Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Over a year on from SP...

Rabies

Trogdor!
Jul 1, 2002
London, UK
OK, I'll yield to Momma Lambini's tealeaf readings on that one, but the fact still stands that WDP aren't going to win anything against SP, SP aren't going to win anything against WDP, and WDP certainly aren't fighting for the plucky underdogs - why would they?

All this of course, is said without the benefit of any inside knowledge about any of this - how I'd like to actually get a straight answer out of one of the people involved! But of course they can't and won't do that. But look at Eclipse - a casual reading of the SP patent would indicate that, however sweeping it is, it doesn't apply to sear-trippers (like cockers.) Doesn't matter - it would cost more to get to the point in court of demonstrating that than to simply sign the bit of paper in the first place. (Ledz, Jack, if any of you want to chip in at any point and set me right on this, please feel free :D )

Collier

Arsed?
Jan 2, 2002
Macclesfield
Visit site
Originally posted by Rabies
Dye and NPS (and AKA, ICD and Eclipse for that matter) came to a settlement because it was cheaper than fighting a lengthy patent case. Simple as that.

By including AKA in that list and you clearly show you haven't got the faintest clue what you are talking about!!!!

Paul
:)

Rabies

Trogdor!
Jul 1, 2002
London, UK
Originally posted by Collier
Include AKA in that and you clearly show you haven't got the faintest clue what you are talking about!!!!

Paul
That would be AKA "we intend to vigourously defend this case... oops, we appear to have agreed to stop producing markers. But we sold some nice CafePress mugs while were at it" then?

Collier

Arsed?
Jan 2, 2002
Macclesfield
Visit site
That would be AKA "we intend to vigourously defend this case... oops, we appear to have agreed to stop producing markers. But we sold some nice CafePress mugs while were at it" then?
That would be the AKA who fought as far as their money allowed them without selling and most likely losing their business!

Paul

[edit] oh yeah, I'm sure with allll those cafe press mugs sold Aaron and Eileen are actually sat on a boat somewhere in the tropics sunning themselves.......... :rolleyes: [/edit]

Rabies

Trogdor!
Jul 1, 2002
London, UK
Sorry Paul, I'm not trying to upset you, and indeed AKA should not have been on that list except as a passing victim of the whole case. Having heard... well, pretty much nothing out of anybody about the details of the outcome, for obvious (lawerish) reasons, most of us can only comment on what we see.

But in that case they are a valuable example of why it is easier to sign an agreement and stay in business, rather than fight it and risk going out of business.

EDIT: There, taken AKA out of original sweeping over-generalization.

p.s. If Billy and Adam got hit by a bus tomorrow, would AKA start making markers again? They were rather tasty.

But in that case they are a valuable example of why it is easier to sign an agreement and stay in business, rather than fight it and risk going out of business.
OK, not quite done...

I am not making any judgement on this specific case, however, as a general rule of thumb, that could be interpreted as 'Little guys - roll over for the big guys, however unjust their claims, or you will be squashed.'

Does 'easy' supercede what is right?

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
The Dye settlement wasn't a capitulation but a signing of a mutally beneficial arrangment as DYE had stuff on SP with Matrix related patents.

There was not "its cheaper to sign than fight" as Dye could have returned the favour from what I understand, just makes no business sense to bother.