The Home Of European Paintball

Over a year on from SP...

Rabies

Trogdor!
Jul 1, 2002
London, UK
Originally posted by TJ Lambini
OK, not quite done...

I am not making any judgement on this specific case, however, as a general rule of thumb, that could be interpreted as 'Little guys - roll over for the big guys, however unjust their claims, or you will be squashed.'

Does 'easy' supercede what is right?
Welcome to patent law. It sucks bowling balls through garden hoses, but that's the way it goes. A system intended to protect the little guy is in fact one of the biggest ways to screw the little guy. The fact is "the only option available" supercedes all else, except going out of business.

Quote from Space Balls: "This is why Evil will always be victorious, because... Good is Dumb."

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
I think the SP - Eclipse deal has more to do with the future of the Evo-X than the patents issue. The whole tie-in with Eclipse
Belsales and SP, would have caused a problem to SP. The Evo-X does provide them with an tidy income and the deal allows Belsales to fit E-blades to the SP Evo-Xs for sale in the US.
Just a thought!!

Rabies

Trogdor!
Jul 1, 2002
London, UK
Likewise, sorry if my comments were over-offensive (or over-simplified for the sake of an argument.)

Whatever, the SP thing is the first nail in the coffin of the cottage industry that used to be paintball. It's big business now, and it'll become steadily more difficult for the little guys to keep their heads above water. Good for the consumer? Don't fecking thing so.

QuackingPlums

Go get a wee-mee!
Oct 30, 2002
Docklands, London
Visit site
I am not making any judgement on this specific case, however, as a general rule of thumb, that could be interpreted as 'Little guys - roll over for the big guys, however unjust their claims, or you will be squashed.'
Under US Patent law, it is up to accused to prove that there was prior art, which is why when a large corporation manages to secure a patent, it's a relatively straightforward task to go after the little guys who cannot afford this lengthy legal procedure.

In the UK, as the patent-holder (in fact, in order for one to be granted in the first place) you have to first prove that there is no prior art. This in itself is quite lengthy and costly, and as a result a lot of small companies don't bother.

The argument in the US is that if they did it this way, innovation would be stifled and nobody would seek patents. So their alternative is to grant patents to anybody who wants one and worry about it later when the lawyers get involved.

Which method stifles innovation more? :rolleyes:

In summary, US Patent law means precisely what TJ said: "Little guys, roll over for the big guys..."

Does 'easy' supercede what is right?
Since when did "law" protect "what is right"? Speak to any lawyer... they'll laugh in your face if you try to use the argument "but that's not right"... :D

So in answer to the question, "easy" superceded "right" the day it was embodied in law...

Kitch

Super'5ives'Man
Jul 10, 2001
Sexy South
Visit site
Sorry to change the subject but......

Snowy can you remove that sh!t from your sig as everytime I log onto this interesting and informative post I have to suffer with that login popping up all the time

thanks

I read a little article in the software press about a non profit organisation seeking to overturn over broad patents, such as, Amazon patenting online order taking.

In this article it states that prior art just has to be presented to the Patent office to over turn a patent and not that a court case is needed. surely, a company that has not been issued with a writ can present this and then live happily ever after safe from the SP threat.